What's new
What's new

ISO All Plastic linear actuator

no704

Aluminum
Starting to look at a design for a sample positioner to be used in a gamma spectroscopy lab. Will be used in taking measurements of radioactive samples. Need a completely plastic unit, any metal will alter the readings, anything like that in the line up? Light weight samples (like 20 grams max), vertical translation, to be driven with a stepper motor with position feed back. Around 16 inch travel.

Anybody know of such a thing?

Thanks,
Neil

Starting to look at a design for a sample positioner to be used in a gamma spectroscopy lab. Will be used in taking measurements of radioactive samples. Need a completely plastic unit, any metal will alter the readings, anything like that in the line up? Light weight samples (like 20 grams max), vertical translation, to be driven with a stepper motor with position feed back. Around 16 inch travel.

Anybody know of such a thing?

Thanks,
Neil

Are you looking to build a cylinder from a design or purchase one? Because I don't think o-rings in a tube would be tough to make, copying the dimensions from a regular metal cylinder.

The reply above me suggested a glass cylinder. Will the metal oxides in the glass affect the readings?

I would look at Igus Drylin linear actuators. Something like the ZLW-0630-Eco in 400mm travel might be appropriate though I'm not sure if it's entirely metal free. I've had pretty good success talking to their reps.

Oh, I've also seen all plastic leadscrews and the shaft is long enough to stick out from the enclosure. Or a conventional actuator with a long push rod

Just keep the linear actuator out of the way perhaps a nylon tube and say filament within, like a mig welding hose and liner ( not actual one) static tube and flexible filament say fibre glass in a nylon tube, keep the actuator out of the area, is it a source your measuring or a sample at different points in a collimated beam?,
Mark

:-) And what sort of "Non Metallic" electrical conductors do think will work to drive the Piezo actuator?

Graphite?

We don't actually know what physical effect the OP is trying to mitigat or evade. Is it electrical conductivity, the effect of high atomic number on radiations, or something else?

Back