What's new
What's new

ISO original Hendey shaper vise

shapeaholic

Stainless
As noted in threads below, I have recently acquired a 1937 Hendey 12" shaper.

It has a vise, but not the original. ( common problem with shapers)

I would like to get an original one, or something very close.

If anyone has one or knows of something I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance

Peter

I think you should post a picture of the vise you're looking for. Anyone who has one either doesn't know what it fits, or they're keeping it for life.

I have, what I believe is a 1908 (?) Hendey shaper vise.
If I remember the moving jaw is on a dovetail.
You can see the Hendey Machine Co. Torrington
text still visible on the fixed jaw.
No drill holes in it, even after all these years.
I don't have a pic right this second.
It is in NC. I may make a visit to Buffalo this year.

---Doozer

Doozer:

A circa 1908 Hendey shaper Vise may not be a very good match for a 1937 Hendey Shaper. The 12 inch High Speed Shaper was a different
design style from the rest of the Shaper line and the Shaper vises made from 1874 until the end of production went through several designs. If you could post several pictures and dimensions, I can compare them to the vise used on the 12 inch High Speed Shaper that Shapeaholic has. The proper vise will weigh about 100lbs and the jaws will be 2-1/4" deep and 10" long.

Hendeyman

I am once again going to post my strong opinion about shapers - do not buy a shaper unless it has its original vise.
There. I said it. It's out. I feel much better now.

metalmagpie

I am once again going to post my strong opinion about shapers - do not buy a shaper unless it has its original vise.
There. I said it. It's out. I feel much better now.

metalmagpie
Depends on the size of the shaper. It's a lot more convenient to have a vise on the little ones. On the 24" Cincinnati I ran, I had the vise off most of the time.

Back