What's new
What's new

ISO9000 and AS9100

Larry Dickman

Titanium
right, so what I'm thinking

The cert is created after all operations. Let's say, for example, you have a 10-32 sti plug gage, The GO
PD spec is .2103 and your cert says the actual is .2105. This would include the coating thickness.
If the coating is all still intact, the PD can't possibly be less than .2103. So why even bother measuring it?

Ox

Diamond
When I said Tin coated, I assumed it was understood I meant Titanium Nitride, not Sn
Most of mine are Balax. I understand the coating thickness is less that a tenth.

... and you was under the impression that I didn't git that?

Then Robert: Apparently TiN is much better controlled than zinc?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

CarbideBob

Diamond
Then Robert: Apparently TiN is much better controlled than zinc?
Ox
Confused. I do not know how to respond and if this a joke or not. Will go with ass-u-me that you know and poking me a tad. :)

PVD TiN coat even on facets and fixtures are controlled to microns, if not it is bad.
Checked with a ball callit. A shallow ball grind test spot.
Scratch test for adhesion.
The oh shit in HSS is the growth of the base tool at the temps used. That can bite you in the ass.
Bob

metal-ica

Aluminum
My policy has been to buy tin coated go members and replace after they wear.

If Camscan can check his gage pins with a caliper than this policy should be golden...no pun intended.

Eswintek

Plastic
I just wrapped up my first Internal Audit a few weeks ago and am ready to schedule my actual AS9100 audit for certification. We hired a consultant that deals directly with our ERP software (ECI JobBOSS), we also had to upgrade our ERP to include the Quality Module; both were the more expensive options but honest to god it ends up saving everyone a ton of time in the end, and time is money right?! We don't have a dedicated full-time Quality person, I'm it, and my main role is Operations Manager but I do whatever needs to be done.

We had an initial meeting with our consultant and then I had 3 months to prepare for our first internal audit with only a few hours every week to dedicate to it, and I survived an 111 page audit with only 2 deficiencies, most of which I owe to having a fully integrated Quality Module within our ERP system. I know you stated that's not y'alls current situation but I shared so that you have all of that information moving forward.

As for consultants, here's a link to looking up Certified Consultants, be sure to specify "Quality Management System Auditor" 404 Not Found

I really liked the guy we worked with, he's an independent consultant, has over 20 years experience. You can use the above link to look up his profile info, name is Charles Richmond.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

barbter

Diamond
We don't have a dedicated full-time Quality person, I'm it, and my main role is Operations Manager but I do whatever needs to be done.
Careful with Customers telling them this....and obviously your company family tree will show this....IME, Customers do NOT like production and QA being mixed like this.
Conflict of departmental interest - if in doubt, ship it out!!!
When there was only 2 of us at my place, I had to specifically split responsibilities to overcome this....

joecrs

Plastic
Anybody have recent experience getting through AS9100 and ISO? We just hired a full time quality guy, and I'd like him to help facilitate the process, but not carry all of the burden. Hoping to get a recommendation for consultants, etc...

I was hoping to handle this with our ERP integration, but that has fallen through. Unfortunately certification is becoming increasingly relevant for our customers, so I can't avoid it much longer. Of course these certs have come up many times on PM - just looking for some recent feedback.
If you
Anybody have recent experience getting through AS9100 and ISO? We just hired a full time quality guy, and I'd like him to help facilitate the process, but not carry all of the burden. Hoping to get a recommendation for consultants, etc...

I was hoping to handle this with our ERP integration, but that has fallen through. Unfortunately certification is becoming increasingly relevant for our customers, so I can't avoid it much longer. Of course these certs have come up many times on PM - just looking for some recent feedback.
If your customers are not requiring it do not do it period, it is a huge waste of time and money and can easily be cheated. I think ISO is the biggest scam to be pulled on this industry in decades. ISO is pretty much just added paperwork lots and lots of paperwork and unless the people are actually following through with the requirements it is a waste of time. I have seen the ISO requirements by passed many times and there is no way to find out if they were actually done or the paperwork was just created out of thin air. I have seen rejected parts come from so called ISO companies which should have never made it out the door if they had actually followed the system they had set up. And as for the auditors that come in and charge $600 an hour they are a joke. I have been in business for 36 years we do military and aircraft work but as a third tier supplier so we have been exempt from ISO. I did look into it years ago and as soon as I saw what was involved I decided it was a waste of time and money. I have never lost a potential, current or past customer due to not being ISO certified. Unless you have a very good shot at a very big customer that will not talk to you without it then it is not worth the added expense this mess will cause you.