What's new
What's new

Joe's Little Tap Wrenches

Conrad Hoffman

Diamond
My friend Joe has retired, but back when he was working in our shop he would make up these little tap wrenches. We do a lot of very small threads, #0-80 and M1 stuff. Very often a pin vise type wrench (I like the Starretts) has too much mass hanging too far out, but not as much turning torque or control as you'd like. A small T-handle wrench is way too much mass hanging out. Either one increases the chance of breaking expensive tiny taps. You can make these out of a piece of hex stock or, often, a piece from a hex standoff from some electrical project. Drill from several sides for the tap body, then clamp it from either end with the screw of your choice. He used some fancy PEM screws for one. The tap here is #0-80. Enjoy.
JoeTapStack.jpg

I have some small Jacobs chucks that I use for turning small taps.
I think they are 1/8" drill capacity, or something like that.
Quick, easy, and works pretty well. Just the right radius for the torque
needed for 6-32 and smaller taps.

-Doozer

Related- I was doing some #4-36 threads recently and, like #6-32, the core of the thing isn't as big as the finer threads. You'd think a #4 would be robust in any flavor, but I could see I was on the verge of a problem. Grabbed one of these and finished it up with little risk. I don't use them every day, but they're very handy when the need arises. I also use small drill chucks and pin vises. Some of our small taps don't even have a square drive on the end, which is a PITA.

Here are mine. Not as small but just as convenient. The bottom wrench is a starrett holding a 6-32. Middle is shop made.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 53
Those are super neat. It looks like the one with the hex body has different diameter holes for tap wrenches with different shank sizes.

An accessory item might be a length of straight shaft with a 60 or 90 degree cone drilled out in one end: think extremely small center drill. It could be used in a drill press or mill to guide the tap, by fitting it over the tap's conical back end through those holes in the holder.

Yes, a coupling nut is a good starting place.

I want one - or three.

My friend Joe has retired, but back when he was working in our shop he would make up these little tap wrenches. We do a lot of very small threads, #0-80 and M1 stuff. Very often a pin vise type wrench (I like the Starretts) has too much mass hanging too far out, but not as much turning torque or control as you'd like. A small T-handle wrench is way too much mass hanging out. Either one increases the chance of breaking expensive tiny taps. You can make these out of a piece of hex stock or, often, a piece from a hex standoff from some electrical project. Drill from several sides for the tap body, then clamp it from either end with the screw of your choice. He used some fancy PEM screws for one. The tap here is #0-80. Enjoy.
View attachment 368107

Small taps get electronics knobs - the smaller the tap, the smaller the knob. Each knob comes equipped with two setscews. Sometimes a small sleeve is needed.

Rough and dirty use a suitable length and size of electrical strip connector.

Back