What's new
What's new

Johnson Model J - pivot angle?

leeko

Stainless
Hi all,

I'm starting a restoration of a Johnson Model J bandsaw, and have a couple of quick questions:

- on my saw, the hydraulic downfeed cylinder was completely rusted through and in pieces. I plan to replace it, maybe with a pneumatic cylinder, but since it's off the saw is able to pivot into a completely vertical position. It seems quite tippy in that position, so I'm guessing it was never designed to do that - for saws that have an intact downfeed system, what's the highest angle the top pivots to? Is the cylinder the only thing that limits the upward movement?

- can anyone advise on the specs of the original cylinder? (Bore, stroke, etc)?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm starting a restoration of a Johnson Model J bandsaw, and have a couple of quick questions:

- on my saw, the hydraulic downfeed cylinder was completely rusted through and in pieces. I plan to replace it, maybe with a pneumatic cylinder, but since it's off the saw is able to pivot into a completely vertical position. It seems quite tippy in that position, so I'm guessing it was never designed to do that - for saws that have an intact downfeed system, what's the highest angle the top pivots to? Is the cylinder the only thing that limits the upward movement?

- can anyone advise on the specs of the original cylinder? (Bore, stroke, etc)?

Thanks in advance,

Lee
Lee,
The bore is 1.250. Not sure on the stroke. You can use most any cylinder assembly with a needle point manual valve. You can use plastic tubing from the valve to the cylinder. just make sure it is rated for 200psi. Dake has a se912 model bandsaw, you could possibly use that replacement cylinder for a low-cost replacement.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I ended up finding a wellsaw 8 before I got too far into the restoration, so the Johnson ended up being scrapped. I saved a few of the smaller parts off it, but the castings etc are gone.

I may actually end up selling the wellsaw 8 in the near future, as I'm heading to pick up a Roll-in saw tomorrow....

Lee

If you ever come across another Johnson saw the casted parts have value. Some castings are no longer available.

Back