What's new
What's new

Jones and Shipman 1400 - spindle doesn't turn on

drogus

Aluminum
I'm trying to turn on the Jones and Shipman 1400 I scored on an insolvency auction. It's visually in a good condition and so far most of the stuff worked, but suddenly spindle doesn't turn on anymore. After I connected the grinder I turned it on and I turned the spindle on for a few seconds (I didn't want to run for longer, cause I haven't checked all the other stuff yet). Then I dismantled the hydraulic unit, cleaned it up real good and replaced the oil. I connected it back to the grinder and the hydraulics work - both table feeds work without any issues. But the spindle doesn't turn on anymore. I can turn the grinding wheel by hand without feeling any kind of resistance, so I'm guessing it's either a faulty motor or an electrical problem. Given that the spindle worked two days ago, I would expect the motor to still be OK, so I'm betting on electrics.

Does anyone know what to check first? If you have schematics I'd also appreciate sending them my way, without schematics I'd probably have to open it up more than I would want to otherwise.

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
If you can't find a schematic you can just check all the fuses and then contactors in the cabinet. After that if nothing is visible check the switch and perhaps wiring/connections. It sounds like one of those is probably the culprit. That's a pretty simple thing to troubleshoot without a schematic really, if you're familiar with electrical stuff.

Mark Rand

Diamond
Do you get a clonk from the contactor when you press the on and off buttons. If not, the fault is mains supply/loose connection to the contactor, switch or in between. If you do, then between the contactor and the motor or the motor itself. If the motor runs (it's quiet), then the belt has broken.

drogus

Aluminum
Thanks for the replies!

And also the problem is really embarrassing, I'm hoping you don't ban for being an idiot :D

I wrote that post after leaving the workshop as I didn't have time to troubleshoot further, but for some reason I assumed it must be something in electrics. After I got back to the workshop I opened the front panel (where the contactors are), I figured out which contactor powers the motor and after I pressed it I heard the motor spinning. Before it was probably turning on too, but I couldn't hear it, cause of the hydraulic pump. So then I checked the back, and as you might have guessed by now, the belt slipped off 🙈 Hopefully at least someone has a laugh out of it 😅

Now I only need to clean up the machine itself and build or buy a coolant tank, cause the grinder came without one. And I don't want to repeat the previous owners' practice of griding without a coolant - the inside of the hydraulic unit was full of grimy metal dust. There was 1cm of this gunky stuff on the radiator and on the motor cover (and pretty much most of the surfaces close to the fans), like no visible ventilation holes on the motor.