What's new
What's new

Jones Lamson in Springfield VT

laminar-flow

Stainless
The original Jones and Lamson factory in Springfield VT has been demolished. Fortunately someone has documented a lot of it and posted it on https://obscurevermont.com/the-jones-and-lamson-factory/

The Google Earth view shows the factory but street view shows the slab.

There is a company just down the street called J&LMetrology that sells and maintains the comparators.

laminar- flow ,
Thanks for sharing the update .
Nice Planer Enginebill
For those who weren't around here is an older J&L related thread
Jim

For those who weren't around here is an older J&L related thread

J&L were quite the name in several categories, not just antique planers. There was a personal reminiscence and sort of explanation for why they folded on the web, thirty or forty pages long, very interesting, by a guy who started there and moved up the ladder until they folded. I saved it but would be easier to find on the open 'net than in my computer. It's worth reading.

Mr. Hartness was a cool engineer and owned J&L at one time. His 1904 mansion in Springfield, VT had a big (actually extends far out under the front lawn) basement workshop and an underground astronomical telescope he built. The house is a B&B/hotel and my wife and I ate dinner there years ago.

Larry

There's still some of that building left, but a lot of it did come down. It's quite a slab, drove by it last month. There are a few small companies in the south end and a rec center in the north end. About a 1/4 mile of concrete in the middle.

Mr. Hartness was a cool engineer and owned J&L at one time. His 1904 mansion in Springfield, VT had a big (actually extends far out under the front lawn) basement workshop and an underground astronomical telescope he built. The house is a B&B/hotel and my wife and I ate dinner there years ago.

Larry
second best prime rib i ever had was there, only better was on a tug in Wrangle Alaska doing 3600 exhaust mandafold updates, cook came down asked what we wanted for dinner prime rib or peanut butter sandwich's, said if we stayed on shore power it be sandwich's, go on generator Prime rib, couldnt get my earmuffs on fast enoughf !
as i was with a friend the knew the owners go a tour of the basement and the telescope. very impressive

Back