What's new
What's new

Jones & Shipman 540L Spindle

SimonPEdwards

Plastic
We need to inspect/replace the bearings in our 540L spindle. In order to do that we need to remove the drive pully from the rear of the spindle. The pully has a threaded boss to enable removal - does anyone know the thread details so we can make a puller?

We need to inspect/replace the bearings in our 540L spindle. In order to do that we need to remove the drive pully from the rear of the spindle. The pully has a threaded boss to enable removal - does anyone know the thread details so we can make a puller?

I believe that the taper on the pulley side is identical to that on the grinding wheel side, and that the pulley can be removed with exactly the same tool that is used to remove the grinding hubs. If you don't have that puller on hand, I can measure mine, but only when I'm back in the shop in about 10 hours from now.

Here's a photo of my J&S 540 pulley (sorry, this is rotated 90 degrees!) you can see the extraction thread:

attachment.php

The grinding wheel hubs come in two flavors. One has an internal removal thread, the other, shown here, has an external removal thread:

attachment.php

If you only have the internal thread type, then you might not have the right kind of removal tool. I have both types of hubs, with internal and external puller threads. In fact here's a link to a suitable grinding hub removal tool:

Surface Grinders - 540 / 1400 Wheel Extractor Multi-tool

Last edited:
Little late to this one - I had to make a puller up this time last year when i changed the bearings on my 540.
It was done on the fly with the lathe a few feet away, so no drawings, but I can tell you that the minor diameter is 30mm and the threads are 20TPI.
It's got a bolt through the middle to jack it off once the puller is threaded on
Also made the pin spanner for the jam nuts too, though you won't need that until the spindle is on the bench.

J&S Puller.jpg

Back