What's new
What's new

JP's shop

Went back to my buddies old shop tonight to pickup the transformer for the Alpha lathe (480 volt), wound up getting a whole cabinet full of mill tooling/ workholding stuff. Some of it I'm not even sure what it is yet, like the toolholder and extensions to the right of the one with the blue tape marked 3 on it is some kind of quick change tap holder from Parlec. Not sure if it is floating or what the deal is, will have to do some research. Lots of good collet chucks, indexable tooling, angle plates etc.

The Riten box is an Adjusta point live center for the lathe, kinda neat in that you can move the point off center when reworking shafts with bad centers on them.
20200108_183902.jpg
20200108_183959.jpg

Now to find room to put all this stuff away...And order some Haas pull studs from Maritool to replace all these hurco ones.

Got some press brake tooling from an auction today. I have no idea yet where I'm going to put all this....

Some of it is very specialized and might scrap some, a few are made from mild steel and have lots of wear. Might scrap 5% total. Some wont be used often but too good to get rid of. Others will get used alot.
f25a6b8541a7802279b02486c2807b78.jpg
de04ac9273bdc9d769f94f1f9768ec79.jpg

When you fat finger the press brake control and run your large 3d printed punch into the bottom die :( They did a few thousand bends up to that point

Have more filament on order to print some new ones. In the meantime printed up one with light gyroid infill to try and fill with a slow cure epoxy. Should be stronger and print time goes from 2 days to 6hrs.
59829a6b6e813a3f73227e7ad781cbb6.jpg

I would not have thought that would work at all. Learn something new everyday.

I probably would have welded something up and just finished the nose and tang in the VMC, but I don't have a 3d printer.

Sometimes you get a fun job in the shop.
Customer had a scrap alcoa semi wheel (inclusions etc in material) and wanted to make a wall clock. So I cut it down to mostly just the center to hang on the wall. He will find a clock to put in the center hole.

Had to slide the ram back and forth on the manual mill to get enough travel to cut it, then it was short enough to fit in the gap in the Alpha 550 lathe and get a couple light clean up passes to make the cut look good.

Instagram

Having trouble loading images on here, but above link should be public viewable.

Sometimes you get a fun job in the shop.
Customer had a scrap alcoa semi wheel (inclusions etc in material) and wanted to make a wall clock. So I cut it down to mostly just the center to hang on the wall. He will find a clock to put in the center hole.

Had to slide the ram back and forth on the manual mill to get enough travel to cut it, then it was short enough to fit in the gap in the Alpha 550 lathe and get a couple light clean up passes to make the cut look good.

Instagram

Having trouble loading images on here, but above link should be public viewable.

I would have just put it in the lathe and used a parting tool.

Chrome here and they wont load, even if made small. The ones I have got to post are through tapatalk.

Some people "internet" on their phone. Not me. Can't stand it. My BIL/SIL don't even own a computer. They do EVERYTHING on their phones.
Hell, she is a nurse, in school again (for the umpteenth time), and she even does all that on her phone. What a PITA!
I don't think I have ever logged in to PM on my phone, and I'm not about to start. IG is about the only thing I do on my phone (besides Pandora).
It might have something to do with my burning hatred of touch screens!

Well, still cant upload pics on here from desktop pc, so trying tapatalk.

Yesterdays project was to replace the old heavy poorly sealed sliding door with an insulated overhead. I used to keep a 2x4 in front of the door to slow the cold air and snow from blowing under and keep out the toads in the summer. The new door looks a ton better and now I can utilize the wall to the right of the door for things like electrical outlets etc. I put a Sommers Evo direct drive opener on it and damn is that thing quiet.
a55c1b0dec925efc3b5a679a73a5352b.jpg

Still have to wire an outlet for the opener. Next on the list is to replace the concrete in front of the door including a large cube for a jib crane over the plasma table to the right. Hoping I can get that done before it's really cold outside.

Back