What's new
What's new

July 18 - 22, 2022 minnesota scraping class

Richard King

Diamond
I have one student ready to sign up for a Monday the 18th - Friday the 22nd of July up in Cottage Grove, MN - 30 miles from the MSP International airport. Learn to Hand and BIAX Power scrape, basic principals of Machine rebuilding There will be 2 to 4 students. You will have a lot of hands-on 1 on 1 training. I will teach you how to 1/2 moon oil flake, how to properly level a lathe, adjust gibs, etc. Message me for more details. Also check out the April Utah class thread and it explains a lot. Rich

Richard King

Diamond
It dries faster the thinner you apply. I like to put it on a sand blasted ways surface that has been warmed up to sweat out the lube oil that has absorbed into the cast iron. Then I buy the Rulon 142 that is basically the same as Turcite. I buy the glue from them as it has 003" to .005" glass beads mixed in it to get that minimum bound line. I also spread to wet the glue on the dark side (acid etched) of the Rulon Plus it dries to use in 8 to 12 hours. It says to wait 24 hours for a full bond, but I usually work on the part after 8 to 12 hours. You can apply thicker amounts but it takes longer to dry unless you use heat lamps.
I buy from these guys: Bearing Manufacturer | Bearing Supplier | TriStar Plastics

Richard King

Diamond
Today is day 1 of the class. We have 4 students, he left his home in northern VT on Saturday morning at 7 AM and got in Yesterday at 3:00 PM. Another drove up from New Mexico. One is from MN and the other I think is from Ohio...I'll edit that when I know for sure. Yesterday I bought a 2nd window AC as it is suppose to be 97 F today and the rest of the week.. After a spring and now summer of medical issues I feel pretty good to teach the class. I have been hospitalized 4 times with 4 surgeries. Sucks getting old. One good thing about it is I have lost close to 50 pounds. Today the men will learn how to power scrape.
I used to teach hand-scraping on day one, but have discovered it is easier for students to see how the same consistent stroke length as the BIAX scraper does is easier to understand the checkerboard scraping pattern. Plus tomorrow when they learn to hand-scrape it will be fun hearing them complain about how hard it is to push the hand-scraper lol.

Ok time to get a move on. Ben Mickelson a local PM member and former student is dropping in on Thursday and will show the class how to Anderson Power-Scrape on my vintage power scraper. There is one pictured in the Connelly book. I sell those books too. I will report back and add some pictures daily. As of now my next open to the public class will be in November in Nowata OK and one back here in Cottage Grove MN in December. Rich