What's new
What's new

Just bought a Original Multifix size B! Help needed

GEORGIE

Aluminum
Hi everyone. Just got this tool post with seven tool holders. Most are swiss made some are from W.Germany.

The problem is the tool post seems way to small for my lathe. In order to get it to height the tool holder is only clamping on half the splines.

Im also going to have to make a new t-nut stud and maybe the t-nut itself.

The only solution i see is to make the t-nut higher than the compound rest top surface.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Below are some pics of my lathe and the tool post it came with along with pictures of the Multifix sitting on the compound.

Thanks

It is a common thing to use a steel spacer under a quick change tool post in order to get the tool holders to be properly gripped while the tool bits are at spindle center height.

I have had a couple of new Swiss Multifix tool posts that came with a spacer to be machined to height to fit the lathe.

Larry

Georgie here is my Multifix B with a spacer underneath. It is nothing more than a round disc with a clearance hole for center post. Make the thickness to suit your particular lathe. multifix2.jpg

I think someone made and inserted a bushing into the tool post.

Here are some pics of said bushings plus some more pics of the various holders that came with my purchase.

Attachments

• 20220227_140948.jpg
    20220227_140948.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220227_141002.jpg
    20220227_141002.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220227_154357.jpg
    20220227_154357.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220227_154424.jpg
    20220227_154424.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220227_154434.jpg
    20220227_154434.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 56
And some more!

Attachments

• 20220227_154444.jpg
    20220227_154444.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220227_154502.jpg
    20220227_154502.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220227_154537.jpg
    20220227_154537.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220227_160522.jpg
    20220227_160522.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 47
Seems like mine is way too small...

Yes, I agree. Looks like a C or D would better suit your lathe. Selling your B set would go a ways toward paying for a bigger set.

Here is a chart to help decide what size you need, but it does not include the D size. Consider your lathe's swing, motor HP and the X dimension. Also consider the D dimension and what size tool bits you want to use.
Swiss Multiquick: 40 Position Quick Change Tool Holder for all Lathes - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Larry

Would the one i have be suitable for a Kart E2N lathe? I think its a 12" swing. Maybe ill keep it for that smaller lathe. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed as this was very expensive for my taste..

Hi Georgie,

the first question is not "What is the matching size which looks nice on my comnpound rest", the first question is "How strong is the drive motor". This is a safety issue, every QCTP-size is limited, your size B for example is approved for 6.6kW and 7.5kW (depend of the producer).

Beside this there are two more things which you have to check to find the best matching size (the swing over bed is total unnecessary):

- how many millimeter is the distance between the surface of the compound rest and the middle of the chuck?
- how wide is the compound rest?

I would like to attach a PDF but the software told me that the size (208kb) is too big (really? 208kb is too big?). If you write me a mail ([email protected]), I will send to you and you will find the perfect matching size.

BTW: As a collector of all existing Multifix variations and collector of all available historical information, I would like to know the number which is stamped into the clamp (downside).

Best regards
Peter Wendlandt

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed as this was very expensive for my taste..
Just wait until you start pricing C or D turrets and holders!

If you decide you want to go with a C size I have a very nice Swiss made one plus 3 holders I'd be willing to sell.

Georgie here is my Multifix B with a spacer underneath. It is nothing more than a round disc with a clearance hole for center post. Make the thickness to suit your particular lathe. View attachment 343119

Hi Peroni, that’s your T&G right? Size B is the ideal size?

Would the one i have be suitable for a Kart E2N lathe? I think its a 12" swing. Maybe ill keep it for that smaller lathe. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed as this was very expensive for my taste..

I might be interested if you decide to sell it.

Hi,

I tried again to attach a PDF to find the perfect Multifix size and it looks like that it worked.

Peter Wendlandt

The correct size is a C for your lathe, but it is really, in my experience, way too big and unnecessary. The B size you have is the best size to use. For instance, I use a B size on my 18 x 54 L&S. My L&S has a 20 HP 400 volt motor. I have on numerous times used my B to take 1/2" DOC in mild steel without issue. I also use a B on my 13 x 40 lathe. I find the C and larger sizes way too large, heavy and cumbersome and in my case totally unnecessary. I always make my own compound mounts. I use a plate that is the same same size of the compound slot with a column that fits the ID of the Multi-fix head through bolted together. I then use a round plate the same diameter of the head to space the head to the proper height for the lathe. By the way, the recommendation for Size A is incorrect. The A is WAY too small. I use an A size on my 10" South Bend.

The correct size is a C for your lathe, but it is really, in my experience, way too big and unnecessary. The B size you have is the best size to use. For instance, I use a B size on my 18 x 54 L&S. My L&S has a 20 HP 400 volt motor. I have on numerous times used my B to take 1/2" DOC in mild steel without issue. I also use a B on my 13 x 40 lathe. I find the C and larger sizes way too large, heavy and cumbersome and in my case totally unnecessary. I always make my own compound mounts. I use a plate that is the same same size of the compound slot with a column that fits the ID of the Multi-fix head through bolted together. I then use a round plate the same diameter of the head to space the head to the proper height for the lathe. By the way, the recommendation for Size A is incorrect. The A is WAY too small. I use an A size on my 10" South Bend.

The height from the top of the compound rest(where the tool post sits) to the center of the chuck is 75mm.

The top of the compound rest where the tool post sits is 150mm x 170mm.

As for the motor, it is 11kw(14hp)

Back