What's new
What's new

Just purchased a belt drive lathe no idea who made it

Randymorten

Plastic
Hi I’m looking for help with a belt drive lathe I just bought. Has no emblem anywhere or marking where I can find the manufacturer. I need to get an AC motor for it. It was wired too run on 110v but I have the capability to run either 110 or 220 single phase is my preference . Only going to use as a hobby lathe for hotrod parts. Any help would be great on what kind of Hp the motor should be and show hard it would be to change the leather belt to a serpentine belt ie removing spindle assembly. Thank you I’m new here so not even sure how to post pics

You might measure from the chuck center to the bed and the distance between centers to give the size
Then tell if it looks like a light-duty or heavy-duty (industrial) machine.
Might look at the current motor frame number and HP.
No motor at all , then measure the past mounting holes and find a frame chart on the net.

Many to 12" light duty lathes may have 1/2 to a 3/4HP, 14" sometimes have a 2 or 3 hp.

Many lathes have a 1700-1800 RPM motor.

Any pictures?

In regards to the belt, most flat-belt lathes will have the belt threaded through the head-stock and then glued, stitched, or clipped in place as these often require much less work then pulling a spindle. Also, once/if the the belt ever stretches, it's easier to shorten and re-splice it.

1/2HP is more than adequate for most small swing flat belt lathes (up to 10" swing) as the belt should slip before you stall the motor.

Just some advise for a first-timer: A belt slipping doesn't always indicate a problem with the belt, but often you're just asking more than the lathe is built for. The amount the machine can peal off in one pass has more to do with cutter set-up, grind geometry, and the mass/rigidity of the castings then the horse power of the motor. All that said, going to a modern serpentine belt is a popular and effective upgrade to eliminate slippage, just remember to work within the capabilities of the machine.

Back