What's new
What's new

Just Purchased SB 9" x 42", need help identifying exact model

mchalley

Plastic
I just picked up a 9" SB lathe. The data plate on the end of the lathe says catalog # 459Z, and another plate has the C.M. Burns Machinery Co. name on it. So it must have been mfg'd by CMB for SB? I can't find a catalog # of 459Z referenced anywhere. If I do the math on the serial number it says it's a 1939 +/- a year. It seems to be all there and is supposed to function, but I'd like to know exactly what I have!

Attachments

• IMG_1464.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1461 2.JPG
    IMG_1461 2.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1462.JPG
    IMG_1462.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 62
You probably have the date wrong. That type of 9" lathe dates earlier than 1939. The 9" went with a double tumbler gear box around 1936. My guess (without a serial number) would be late '20s or early '30s.

You probably have the date wrong. That type of 9" lathe dates earlier than 1939. The 9" went with a double tumbler gear box around 1936. My guess (without a serial number) would be late '20s or early '30s.
I apologize, I should have given the serial# it is 96809.
Thank you

I just picked up a 9" SB lathe. The data plate on the end of the lathe says catalog # 459Z, and another plate has the C.M. Burns Machinery Co. name on it. So it must have been mfg'd by CMB for SB? I can't find a catalog # of 459Z referenced anywhere. If I do the math on the serial number it says it's a 1939 +/- a year. It seems to be all there and is supposed to function, but I'd like to know exactly what I have!
The 459-Z is a 3-1/2 foot bed, "9-inch,1-inch Collet lathe". This is the true "Heavy-9", same bed as the heavy ten with S series side Capillary oilers.
They were in production from late 1938 to late 1939, only about a year and pretty rare to find.
Nice score!!
http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/cat_bl_29b/cat_bl_29b.pdf

Steve

I was thinking something was different when I saw the size of those collets & the single tumbler . The spindle oilers look larger than on a standard 9A . So large dial crosslide small dial compound , was that standard also ?
thanks
animal

I appreciate all the information! Keep it coming, as I want to learn as much about this as I can. I don't see the long pass-through collet holder in the stuff that came with it unfortunately. Any idea what this is worth? I don't plan to be selling it anytime soon, but it would be nice to know what it's worth.

I was thinking something was different when I saw the size of those collets & the single tumbler . The spindle oilers look larger than on a standard 9A . So large dial crosslide small dial compound , was that standard also ?
thanks
animal
The large dial has been added.
The first cross feed dials were small chromed 100 radius reading, the next was a chromed large dial, 100 radius reading, and the last was a satin chrome 200 diameter reading like the late 9/10K. The 200 large dial 9/10K compound dial will fit this and the 10L with a little modification.
Steve

The serial number puts it in the first 3 months of 1940, so it was probably one of the last ones made. A horizontal drive bench lathe with chip pan and floor legs makes it a fairly rare bird to see.

Steve

Back