What's new
What's new

K&T 2H Problem

BlueSky

Plastic
I have a new to me K&T #2 HL Universal Mill, serial number 15-5147. I have a couple of questions that might be related. I have a K series parts manual which doesn't seem close enough, so some of the terms might wrong. I just ordered a parts and operator manual for the H series.

Sorry for the long winded context.

While I was working on freeing up the overarms ( one for two ) I was seeing how the selector for the feed speed worked. I could pull and spin the knob and move the selector around a quarter of the dial. I assumed the other part of the dial needed to move ( secret button? ) I was told by the previous owner to just move the spindle around and the gears will mesh up and the lever should move.

1. Assuming the back half of the speed selector for the feed rate is suppose to move, how do I get to the other speeds?

The second problem might be causing the first problem. I was working on moving the spindle around and found the motor would not spin past a certain point in one direction. Despite moving the spindle around, I could never get the selector to move any more than previously. Next, I thought the problem might be in an individual axis. So move X and Y around and engage the feed lever in both direction... The Z axis does not move, I don't put a lot of weight on it, but enough to convince me it is stuck. Ok, I have power feed, let's hook up the power and see if I can move the knee that way. Now is when I find out that the direction that the motor does not spin past is the direction it should spin. I try "backing up", power up and the spindle rotates and then stops again. Ouch, don't like that.

So, if I leave the spindle gear selector in between gears ( neutral ) and spin the motor, I get the same behavior, without the spindle spinning. So, I don't think the problem is in the drive for the spindle.

2. So, question number two is how do I diagnose this problem?

One last data point, I had forgotten to place a block under the knee before transport. I had the block, remembered it and then got side tracked during loading. It was lowered to help with loading.

Steve

Rear half of feed dial is fixed. When machine is running and gears are turning, the dial crank can be turned continuosly.

When you say "spin the motor" I assume you have the right side door open and you are turning the pulley manually.

You may have a stuck coolant pump that is driven off the spindle drive. At least on the bigger K&Ts, you can lift up a coupling sleeve to disconnect the coolant pump.

When you get to try and put power on the spindle, you may not know the machine has a clutch engaged by the top horizontal lever with the PB station on it.

John

When I "spin the motor" I have the right side door open and just manually turn the motor. I also put a tool holder in the spindle to get a hold on and spin the motor.

The coolant pump that is in there has a separate power supply. I will look for signs of an old pump drive.

I'm not sure what you mean concerning the clutch. It doesn't "look" like it travels as far as it should, but I didn't have much to base that on.

On my 2CH, only a little newer, a good manly shove on clutch lever to left will engage clutch and make spindle go. A similar shove to right disengages clutch and stops spindle. (there is a brake in there)

Have power on this little guy yet?

John

I have seen the spindle rotate until the blockage is hit, this was under power at the time. This happened when I backed the motor up by hand and then engaged the power.

I'll give the clutch a try.

Update:
I am not sure what changed the lockup problem but I had changed much, looked under the rapid traverse clutch cover, moved the sump pump around and pulled the pulleys to confirm the motor wasn't the problem. When I put a pulley back on, the lockup was gone. Put the other pulley back on and powered it up.

This time both the feed and rapid shafts were not trying to spin at the same time. I would assume both trying to spin at the same time was causing the lockup.

I tested a bunch of different spindle speeds and changing the feed rate. None of it would be considered smooth, but it did function. The feed on X and Y worked as did the rapid traverse. The Z, or knee would spin, but not move.

Any ideas on how to get the knee operational again? Things to look for or things to avoid?

Back