What's new
What's new

Kearney Trecker serial number registry

John,
Thanks for the info. The machine I am investigating I think is newer that the provided catalogue items. I can't post a jpeg but the machine is at Lost Creek Machines in Illinois. The main motor is totally enclosed by the column casting like a 2H mill. Trying to determine similarity to a 2H, 2HL, etc. for potential transportation, rigging, etc. issues.

Thanks for any assistance,

No similarity other than motor in base and feed selection out front. The later ones were COMPACTS - about 3000 for 1H/2HL and 3800 for 2H. The linked catalog from 1917 is as close as it gets to my knowledge in my 50 years of acquiring old machine tool pubs - possibly you will have better luck:)

As far as rigging, I would imagine the somewhat later instructions about picking them up via over arms would apply

Attachments

• Lift Hor Mill.jpg
    Lift Hor Mill.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Double check me please

They are in this format:

X-XXXX

or

XX-XXXX

First one or two digits tells position of that machine in the lot. I.E., 21 in front of the hyphen indicates 21st machine in a lot that consisted of at least that many machines.

Last four digits indicates lot number.

The only way to tell year made is either look in the Serial Number Reference Book For Metalworking Machinery or the Lot Number book published by K&T.

Both Ramsay (Mike) and myself have lot number books. Mike's goes back further than mine. These lot number books tell quantity in lot, model of machine(s) in the lot and month and year the lot was completed.

This same numbering scheme was also applied to attachments and accessories. The lot number book identifies what they went to.

John Oder

John,

I have a K&T Model D with serial number 58-1006-05-0, based off what you said and looking on Kearney & Trecker Co. - VintageMachinery.org Knowledge Base (Wiki) it seems that my mill was manufactured in 1925. Do you agree? Also, what do the last two sets of numbers represent? (05-0). Do you know where I can find more information on this model?

TIA

John,

I have a K&T Model D with serial number 58-1006-05-0, based off what you said and looking on Kearney & Trecker Co. - VintageMachinery.org Knowledge Base (Wiki) it seems that my mill was manufactured in 1925. Do you agree? Also, what do the last two sets of numbers represent? (05-0). Do you know where I can find more information on this model?

TIA
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/6773.pdf

Page 69 pdf or page 202 in book...Prefix "58" 12 in lot made Nov 1970.....Cheers: Ramsay 1:)

Ive started messing around with my grandfather's mill ser. 51 2950 looks like it's from December 1940. The gear change is labeled with in French I believe. Was wondering if anyone knew any history or reason why?

I have a model h #2 vert and was curious of the build date!

Serial is 16-3194. If anyone has this info

Last edited:
I was also curious on the phase and voltage these require? I only have single phase in my shop so i know I’ll need a phase converter because I’m sure it’s 3 phase but not sure of voltage

I’m sure it’s 3 phase but not sure of voltage
You need to look at the nameplate on the motor to determine at what voltage or voltages it can run. You also need to observe the current connection configuration to determine how it is currently wired. You may have to pull the motor out to see the nameplate.

Once you know the voltage for which it is currently configured, you can formulate a plan to re-configure it, if necessary, to the voltage that you need. I recently bought a 2CHL from the local community college. It was configured to run at 440V 3-phase but I was able to change the motor wiring so that it now runs on 220V 3-phase. In addition to changing the motor wiring I had to make some changes in the control box and purchase new overload heaters compatible with the higher current that will occur at the lower voltage.

Back