What's new
What's new

kennametal or maritool ?

I hope this is not considered OT, but my new to me Mazak VTC has a minimum spindle nose to table measurement of 180 mm (7"). The bases of my Kurt vices are 3" from memory. So minimum spindle nose to bottom of vice just over 4".
If I clamp something on the table .....
I get it regarding minimum stick out, so I'm wondering if I should have some riser blocks, for table jobs, or even under the vises.
Bob
My Bt 30's have 70mm projection length with a couple of 100mm projections.
My mill is 7.875 spindle nose to table.You have to have various length tool holders.It is challenging at times but I make due.
Kurt vise is 2.875 thick with about 1.3 jaws.
My standard cat 40 TG 100 is about 3.5 long.

I have some ER16 and ER32 collet chucks on year end sale for $78 if you’re interested.

Attachments

• 2BC4A07A-97DE-4E89-9088-8FAF2D235B55.jpeg
    2BC4A07A-97DE-4E89-9088-8FAF2D235B55.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 18
I hope this is not considered OT, but my new to me Mazak VTC has a minimum spindle nose to table measurement of 180 mm (7"). The bases of my Kurt vices are 3" from memory. So minimum spindle nose to bottom of vice just over 4".
If I clamp something on the table .....
I get it regarding minimum stick out, so I'm wondering if I should have some riser blocks, for table jobs, or even under the vises.
Bob

Depends on parts. You're regular 2-3" toolholder with an endmill in it will probably reach your part in a vise just fine.

A 1" thick part on 1" parallels on the table, probably not so much. Longer toolholders aren't that big of a deal in 40 taper and pretty much a non-issue with 50 taper.

Depends on parts. You're regular 2-3" toolholder with an endmill in it will probably reach your part in a vise just fine.

A 1" thick part on 1" parallels on the table, probably not so much. Longer toolholders aren't that big of a deal in 40 taper and pretty much a non-issue with 50 taper.
I just measured up on my machine, and I was pleasantly surprised its not really an issue for vise work. (I guess Mazak knew what they were doing, lol).
But clamping a big plate or similar on the table could be an issue. Maybe better to invest in some parallels, or blocks to lift the job rather than longer tool holders, maybe cheaper, and the tools are already setup in the magazine.
Thanks,
Bob

I just measured up on my machine, and I was pleasantly surprised its not really an issue for vise work. (I guess Mazak knew what they were doing, lol).
But clamping a big plate or similar on the table could be an issue. Maybe better to invest in some parallels, or blocks to lift the job rather than longer tool holders, maybe cheaper, and the tools are already setup in the magazine.
Thanks,
Bob

246 blocks work pretty good.

Well, for "plate" work, where most all that type work is "through" work, a cpl 2bys are prolly as good as anything, and you can work right into them and not worry about it.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I fell into the Kennemetal trap when I bought my new machine.

I think some others said this:

The holders you'll get are not Kennemetal branded holders. They're Erikson, which are fine holders. Some of the ER collets I got from them were not Erikson or Kennemetal. They just said "Made in India".

Someone also said that you get better customer service with Maritool. I can't stress this enough. The Kennemetal guys don't want anything to do with you unless you're spending like $100k a year with them. They were not the best with customer service.

Kenna bought Erickson back, prolly 35-40 years ago.
But I agree that _ that new Cat40 holder may be from India, and so they are not at the top of my list anymore.

I know of at least 3 outfits in the Great Lakes region that make holders here. (including Mari)
I just need to not doo the easiest thing and just call Kenna, but make sure to call one of these 3 places.
It doesn't really cost much different, but you keep the Yanks in business and you keep a domestic source.
(National security to some extent!)

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

See my post on page two if this thread where I said the following...
"This is not an endorsement of Kennametal.... Kennametal is a global company and, therefore, needs to manufacture globally."

Keep in mind, if you buy Kennametal, you are also keeping "Yanks" in business, and employed. I just browsed their job openings in North America (majority in the US). They have over 100 openings for machine operators, technicians, engineers (product and manufacturing type), managers, etc...

" if you buy Kennametal, you are also keeping "Yanks" in business,"

true, but....I'd rather keep Frank in business than giving my money to some global one.
I've called in and talked to Frank, you won't get that at Kenna......
All my VMC holders , studs are from Mari, and always will be.

you are also keeping "Yanks" in business, and employed.
Keeping people employed is important, but not as important as maintaining manufacturing expertise and infrastructure in your home region. In our case, the US/Canada.

I can't comment on any one company specifically because I'm not privy to those details. But plenty of larger companies keep the high profit/NDA work here in the states (i.e. aerospace customs) while importing "common" stuff like CAT40s.

In the current state of global affairs, it should be in the back of everyone's minds that overseas supply can be suddenly cut off, and we'll want that local expertise and infrastructure in place in case it happens. Perhaps even more importantly, why fuel the technological advancement of another country instead than your own? CAT40 holders might not have much left in terms of innovation, but the automated manufacturing methods in which they're made sure do.

Back