What's new
What's new

Kitamura versus Okuma

MTmetal

Plastic
Looking for some input on Kitamura Mycenter-3XVT versus Okuma's Genos Mills. I've been running Haas machines for along time and am ready to move onto something more rigid and accurate. I've narrowed the hunt down to a Kitamura or Okuma mill and was seeing what people's experiences are with these machines? Thanks for any insight!

I'm happy w Kitamura(Bridge 8F), solid machine-built like a tank, build quality is excellent, runs and runs, very accurate. Wish the Fanuc control was better at complex surface shapes(16iMB), manuals leave a bit to be desired. The factory people & my local distributor are super helpful whatever questions you have.

Does the Kit have a dual contact spindle?
If it does the decision is up to how you feel and if you like the people selling the machine.

Does the Kit have a dual contact spindle?
If it does the decision is up to how you feel and if you like the people selling the machine.

I think dual contact spindles have been pretty standard on Kitamura's for 20+ years now.

I think which is better would come down to the specific machines, which control you prefer and local service.

Both controls would be new to me, both distributors seem like they will do their best to service/stand behind the machines. Have people seen high accuracy and repeatability on the Kitamura 3XVT 5 axis work? Thanks for the feedback!.

Both controls would be new to me, both distributors seem like they will do their best to service/stand behind the machines. Have people seen high accuracy and repeatability on the Kitamura 3XVT 5 axis work? Thanks for the feedback!.
Only maker I know of that advertises 24 hr repeatability is not listed here. And it's a low number.

Looking for some input on Kitamura Mycenter-3XVT versus Okuma's Genos Mills. I've been running Haas machines for along time and am ready to move onto something more rigid and accurate. I've narrowed the hunt down to a Kitamura or Okuma mill and was seeing what people's experiences are with these machines? Thanks for any insight!
What is the price of that Kitamura? I'm genuinely curious.
And you're looking at the Genos 5axis for comparison?

I love my Okuma and will be buying a Genos mill soon.
With that said, a buddy has a Kitamura and has had excellent service from it, for nearly 20 years.
I'm biased towards Okuma, but I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Last edited:
I would go Kitamura. Just because I think the transition from Haas to Kit control will be easier than to transition to Okuma controls. Okuma's are not hard to learn by no means, but the Haas and Fanuc controls are pretty similar and there will be a lot you recognize.

And the Posted code for a Fanuc isn't much different, the Okuma code is different enough you could get in trouble if your not paying attention. If you have a good Okuma Post then it's not an issue.

We have 2 older Mycenter4 mills. Great accuracy and built like a tank. Service has always been our issue.

And the Posted code for a Fanuc isn't much different, the Okuma code is different enough you could get in trouble if your not paying attention. If you have a good Okuma Post then it's not an issue.
That is a good point. Not know how many existing programs you have, you would have some editing to do to run them on an Okuma.
I have run both and I loved that Kitamura.
Okuma is good, but quirky in some ways, and annoying.

I would love to get the Okuma M460V-5ax but it's a bit out of my price range. The Kitamura Mycenter-3XVT and Okuma Genos M560 with a Koma trunnion are the two I've narrowed it down to (due to price, both right around 200K) and comparable service. They are both trunnion 5 axis machines which isn't my ideal machine but it's all my pocket book will allow. I have Haas TR160 trunnions right now which are a big pain in the rear so going to another trunnion makes me a bit nervous but figure the quality and accuracy will be better with these two brands? Anybody with experience on these specific machines it'd be great to hear from? Thanks!

Okuma Genos M560 with a Koma trunnion are the two I've narrowed it down to (due to price, both right around 200K)

Did you get the correct options on the Okuma to allow for 5 axis simultaneous cutting?
Those options are more than $30k.
Add another $60k-ish for the Koma and the price is well over $200k.
What price did they quote the machine at? Curious as to what they're going for these days. We haven't purchased one in a few years.

Did you get the correct options on the Okuma to allow for 5 axis simultaneous cutting?
Those options are more than $30k.
Add another $60k-ish for the Koma and the price is well over $200k.
What price did they quote the machine at? Curious as to what they're going for these days. We haven't purchased one in a few years.
I saw a promo not too long ago where they were going off at 109k. Add the 4/5 interface and table and I could see that coming in around 200k.

Take a look at the Microdynamics 30VT and 50VT also. Very similar machine but the specs are virtually the same (as they should be) but it has a Mitsubishi control, not the Fanuc/Acro. I picked up one last month and I a very impressed with the machine. Support has been great and I like the Mitsubishi controller compared to Fanuc so far.

I am still tooling the machine up so i have limited cutting hours on it but even for just 3 axis parts it runs circles around my other machines.

I was at the factory for training and they were doing these test cuts like once an hour....impressive in person. I nice low hum you could hear across the factory.

Take a look at the Microdynamics 30VT and 50VT also. Very similar machine but the specs are virtually the same (as they should be) but it has a Mitsubishi control, not the Fanuc/Acro. I picked up one last month and I a very impressed with the machine. Support has been great and I like the Mitsubishi controller compared to Fanuc so far.

I am still tooling the machine up so i have limited cutting hours on it but even for just 3 axis parts it runs circles around my other machines.

I was at the factory for training and they were doing these test cuts like once an hour....impressive in person. I nice low hum you could hear across the factory.

We just got a mazak c600 quoted for 290k

Back