What's new
What's new

Knurling Tool Recommendations

jephw

Aluminum
Good day everyone.
Need some help selecting the proper tool for this job. See attached photo. I need a knurling tool to make the diamond pattern right up against the shoulder. Job is to be done on a CNC lathe. I don't have knurling jobs very often so I don't need the most expensive, just something to get the job done.
Any advice is appreciated.
Screenshot (32).png

Check out the shoulder knurling tools from Dorian Tool. We have one that we use when we need to get right up to a large diameter shoulder. The knurls are counterbored and held in by a pin with a head that sits flush with the face of the the knurl.

I have a Dorian (self centering) 2 wheel, up to shoulder style. It works, but the longitudinal in-feed wheels wear quickly. (IMHO)

I am a huge fan of Accutrack knurling tools.
holder:
wheel:

I don't know your quantity, but if only a few, the axial 'bump' style will work. (assuming the material is not Rc58-60 already. lol)

The problem with bump knurling is the in-feed pressure is high.
A cut type knurl would be a better option for coarse knurling.

I think I spent about $600 off Ebay for a cut-type knurling setup.
Sheesh! They have gone up. This is the exact cutting type knurling tool I bought.

Doug.

I have a Dorian (self centering) 2 wheel, up to shoulder style. It works, but the longitudinal in-feed wheels wear quickly. (IMHO)

holder:
wheel:

I don't know your quantity, but if only a few, the axial 'bump' style will work. (assuming the material is not Rc58-60 already. lol)

Sheesh! They have gone up. This is the exact cutting type knurling tool I bought.

Doug.
Will a cut knurling tool work next to a shoulder?

Phil,

No they will not, they just happen to cut much better on the course pitch knurls.
The bump or axial in-feed will certainly.
(I was just adding a little commentary, but I guess I really just muddied the water.)

holder:
wheel:

Doug.
Thanks for the info.
This is just for a small job, like 4 parts. Price is also very reasonable on these Accutrak tools. Will I be able to get a fairly course knurl with this? You mentioned cut type knurl would be better, but curious to know if I would be able to get away with this one, just because of the low quantity.

Jephw,

No the cut type (as I linked to) will not work for your current application.

The accutrack 'bump' knurl holder will get you up to the shoulder. The referenced knurl wheel has a circular pitch of 2mm. I think that may be the coarsest offering they make for that style holder.

Jephw,

No the cut type (as I linked to) will not work for your current application.

The accutrack 'bump' knurl holder will get you up to the shoulder. The referenced knurl wheel has a circular pitch of 2mm. I think that may be the coarsest offering they make for that style holder.
Doug925,
I will get one of the accutracks then and see how it works. Thanks again for your help!

Back