What's new
What's new

KO Lee S618HG: Resealing Hyd Cylinders

EddyCurr

Aluminum
An acquaintance has a K.O. Lee S618HG hydraulic surface grinder. The machine is in nice condition, but seals for the cylinders that power longitudinal and crossfeed table travel leak excessively.

The acquaintance tells me he is faced with having seals made to order.

Are suitable cylinder rebuild components (possibly in kit form) available for the OEM cylinders?

From "Parts List And Instruction Book For S618HG" (HGPL-1 1983) by KO Lee Company

** === B4034 (1-1/4 x 20) Hydraulic Cylinder Assy

4 pc - #28 Y11-1601 V-Packing
4 pc - #29 Y11-1903 O-Ring (1/16 x 3/8 x 1/2)
3 pc - #30 Y11-1917 O-Ring (1/8 x 1 x 1-1/4)
1 pc - #31 Y11-1606 Kapseal - External

** === S234 Cylinder Crossfeed

2 pc - #22 Y11-1601 V-Packing
3 pc - #23 Y11-1922 O-Ring (1/8 x 1-3/4 x 2)
1 pc - #24 Y11-1608 Kapseal - External

** === S434 Cylinder Crossfeed

4 pc - #22 Y11-1601 V-Packing
3 pc - #23 Y11-1922 O-Ring (1/8 x 1-3/4 x 2)
1 pc - #24 Y11-1608 Kapseal - External
1 pc - #26 01W100-28-4 Seal (S334)​

2021.11.30_KOLee_Cyl01_01.jpg
2021.11.30_KOLee_Cyl02_01.jpg

I don't know the answer to your question. Hopefully you can get the right spare parts. But if not, there's still hope.

I live in a farming area, and less than 2km away is a small company whose business is hydraulics. A lot of their work is repairing hydraulic cylinders for agricultural equipment, and over the years I have discovered that they are competent and remarkably inexpensive. They have sources of supply for all kinds of seals and tricks for adapting them. So if you can't get the right parts yourself, I suggest looking for a similar company near you, taking the cylinders to them, and asking them for help.

Thank you for the reply and suggestion.

Like you, we are in an area with farming. It is also a bit of a service hub for oil & gas, mining, logging and other industry.

I am asking here on PM because the acquaintance tells me that after canvassing an extensive list of possible sources, the sole solution appears to be custom manufacture at what he considers eye-popping prices.

Perhaps a KO Lee owner on PM has already dealt with a similar problem? Maybe an enterprising third party has taken it on themselves to fill a niche by supplying cylinder rebuild kits for older hydraulic surface grinders?

If searching for parts by the part#'s, you will most likely find them unavailable as they have been superseded by newer parts, or those were KO Lee's part numbers. Pull the cylinders, disassemble, and haul it all down to the local hyd shop, most likely they can supply all or most of what you need. If truly unavailable, they, or maybe you, can machine piston/cap to accept readily available seals. Worst case scenario I would replace cylinders before getting custom made seals.

Agreed about the unlikelihood of OE availability, but one never knows w/o asking. Mainly the model #, P/N's, descriptions and accompanying illustrations were posted to provide context and more detail for consideration.

I've since learned that the owner's next step is bench-testing to get a better view and contain leaks while doing so.

I will pass along your tips and recommendations. In addition to imperial sizes, an availability of metric components here expands the range of possible substitutions for use in a resto-mod of the existing cylinders. Perhaps after the owner knows more about the overall condition of the OE cylinders, his determination may be that adaptation of modern cylinders will make more sense than rebuilding the originals.

Thank you.

We have a place in Fresno calls central supply that is I a not well marked building with many rows of ahelves made with cinder blocks and planks.

Have yet to not get what we needed.

We bring in the old seals and parts the seals go into and the folks measure things and dissappear for a few minutes then come out with all of the seals.

You may be able to send photos and measurements of your parts and get what you need shipped.

The places that make metal arts usually do not make rubber parts.

All of the rubber parts were likely existing off the shelf parts that somebody selected to use for their device they created.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

In industrial South Seattle is a wonderful vendor called Omni Packing and Seal. I take a cylinder apart and take it down there. They know *everything*.

Have you looked in a Hercules catalog?

I repacked a 6x18" cylinder recently and found that the packing on the piston was rated for 2500 psi. I had always wondered where the psi ratings for cylinders came from. Omni had all the parts for me in a few days, done deal.

Of course, you don't live in Seattle. But others do ..

metalmagpie

K O Lee did not use any type of metric seals in their stuff. More than likely special to their specifications.

What you need to do is measure the Gland OD, width, and the ID of the seal bore the seals ride in. From these measurements your local seal supplier should be able to match up something close. It may require adjusting the gland diameter or width but when done you'll always be able to get something standard off the shelf when it comes time to replace them again.

There are several seal shops in the Edmonton or Calgary areas that I know of. I don't deal with them, my co-workers up there deal some of the shops up there. Like the others have said, any hydraulic cylinder repair shop, hydraulic shop, should be able to fix you up.

Next thing, how worn is the bore of the cylinders? If there is any scoring or burnishing, you need to get them honed or new cylinders made, or it's going to just wear out the new seals quickly.

Back