What's new
What's new

Kustomizer's Shop

In my limited experience, a lot of the smaller rural electrics, (granted Idaho power probably is not small) are a lot more flexible and accommodating. I have 3 phase about 100 yds from my shop and was quoted $28,000 to $36,000 for my HALF to get it to me.

In my limited experience, a lot of the smaller rural electrics, (granted Idaho power probably is not small) are a lot more flexible and accommodating. I have 3 phase about 100 yds from my shop and was quoted $28,000 to $36,000 for my HALF to get it to me.

Damn. I thought three phase would be the cat's ass. F three phase at that price.

Seriously?
You are a thousand miles from no-where yet you have 3ph to your front door?

The actual connection was $600., all the money was in the copper wire big as my thumb. 3 phase was run by us for a cobalt mining operation, there are still a couple of them going.

I'm mildly envious of your 3 phase supply, too.

We're about 1.5 miles from 3 phase, then up my 1/4 mile driveway to the last pole, new conduit for 600', crossing a stream to get to the shop. Given that "payment in kind" costs for new construction for single phase is running over $10/ft, 3 phase ain't never gonna happen. And we're a small rural coop, not flexible, unfortunately. Enough ranting, already.

Very glad to see the windows over your workbench. Looking up from work to see a moose strolling by is friggin' awesome.
You could pop more holes in the walls pretty quick with that favorite new old Skilsaw. :)

I'm mildly envious of your 3 phase supply, too.

We're about 1.5 miles from 3 phase, then up my 1/4 mile driveway to the last pole, new conduit for 600', crossing a stream to get to the shop. Given that "payment in kind" costs for new construction for single phase is running over $10/ft, 3 phase ain't never gonna happen. And we're a small rural coop, not flexible, unfortunately. Enough ranting, already.

Very glad to see the windows over your workbench. Looking up from work to see a moose strolling by is friggin' awesome.
You could pop more holes in the walls pretty quick with that favorite new old Skilsaw. :)

The scenery and wildlife here is so cool, a few weeks back, Jo and I were caught up in a traffic jam on out commute to work ( 158 steps )
as these guys didn't want to get out of the way and we weren't inclined do do much to push them.

IMG_4022.jpgIMG_4023.jpgIMG_4025.jpgIMG_3965.jpg

I'm guessing that _ that 3ph line running on past this pc of property helped you decide which place that you wanted to move to, or at least help justify the price compared to another slice somewhere else.

Had to talked to the local hydro before buying?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The scenery and wildlife here is so cool, a few weeks back, Jo and I were caught up in a traffic jam on out commute to work ( 158 steps )
as these guys didn't want to get out of the way and we weren't inclined do do much to push them.

And the stream, too! Have we seen that before? I don't remember it. Now I'm even more jealous.

I'm guessing that _ that 3ph line running on past this pc of property helped you decide which place that you wanted to move to, or at least help justify the price compared to another slice somewhere else.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

When I bought my current piece of earth, 3ph was a requirement......................Google maps with the street view was very helpful(at least if the juice was overhead)................if the power poles had a cross buck and more than 2 wires, it was worth looking at.....................and yeah, being in contact with local power coops was a must..............there's a huge range of price differences in getting a 3ph service installed. Excel energy was the worst.........very difficult to get anyone that would give ya the time of day and the cost for install was both insulting and unrealistic.................The smaller coops where all over the map from only maybe a grand $$ or so up to $10-20k on how far they had to run sparky lines.............we were at $11/ft here............cost me around $7k 9 yrs ago..................

And the stream, too! Have we seen that before? I don't remember it. Now I'm even more jealous.

I told Mr Kustom in a previous post I'd come out to help get rid of some of those irritating and tasty critters that have infested his place.........................my services would be free of course.................

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes, and yes, The house, river and flat ground were the biggest factors, the fact that we both liked it was huge, we looked at a lot of places on the computer real estate listings then we would go find the google earth and follow power lines.
We, well I use that term loosly, Wonder Woman would print the listing and google power line pic of interesting places and put them in a binder.
She put them in order of a planned trip up the west side of Idaho to the top to visit some friends, then down the east side to Idaho falls to
see her mother then back to Ca.
We had 12 places we wanted to see, they all had water of some kind, lake, river, etc, we had searched out the nearby towns, talked with the power companys, city officials about putting a machine shop on the property with the house rather than in town. Four of the places were on the west side of the state, were nice but all were steep properties. We have had enough steep in the last place so we wanted flat ground in the 10 - 20 acre range. We needed some way to get materials in so we checked with a couple towns folk/business owners and ended up crossing a couple from our list. There was a place in Priest River, just south of the Canadian border that had a real nice brick home, river front with several outbuildings but power was 120k away, this place was our first stop on the way south and we loved everything about with 2 exceptions, it has an upstairs room, her hobby room and no other reason to go up there, the stairs are plenty wide to add a lift if she comes to need one. The other problem was the 1600sf pole barn rather than the 7000sf machine shop we were used to, we have expanded it to 3500sf and I have a second building for a hobby shop, it needs work yet but in the end it will be fine, it is 650 sf, smaller than I would have hoped but it will work. We have a couple neighbors, we know they are there but cannot see or hear them and most of the land to out west is BLM, to the east is forest service so the neighbors we have is about all we can get. It is 5 miles to the post office/minimate/gas station/propane fil/fishing supplies in the village of North Fork, google it, it is a cute 1 building town, they have a 5 x 10 table in the middle of the minimart and serve breakfast burito's, lunch burito's and have about 6 beers on tap for us old guys to sit around and bs in the afternoon/evening. Salmon is about 30 miles away and has normal shopping, car dealer, hardware, just about all you need and a warehouse where our material is delivered. Allen runs the warehouse and I have a key and permission to go in, use his forklift and load my stuff at will. Salmon has about 3500 people and is a plenty big city for me to visit though if you need a Lowes, Home depot, Pacific steel supply or the like, Missoula is 120 miles north of us and we have been about once every other month for supplies. We really like it here and once settled we will start having a bit of fun between part time machining, we are planning for a 4 day work week with 6-8 hours in our days. You ought to hear Wonder Woman cuss and fuss when she sees someone fishing in her river, catching her fish ( the Salmon River ) you follow it all the way to Salmon, a beautiful, scenic, wildlife filled byway.

That is the north fork of the Salmon river, we own to the center of it for 1/4 mile, we can fish it, irrigate with a pump right out of it or just go to sleep listening to it, it is 58 steps from my easy chair. We get a Rainbow or two a week out of it, 12 inches long or so. It is 20' or so wide and 2-3 feet deep, fast moving

ROFL! You mean atop a bowl of sticky-rice ....stir-fried.. slow steamed .. or scrambled with eggs?

Chinese don't limit themselves to eatin' just GOD's critters....

Reason we have so little evidence of visits from ancient aliens?

Ancient Cantonese figured out easily a dozen novel ways to smoke, dry, pickle, and cook 'em...

Them folke not only eat anything. they eat the whole damn thing. Wonder woman and I went to an all you can eat lobster place outside Reno nv, there were some at the table next to us, they made a bunch of racket with the bunch of them, a dozen or more and when they left there was a pile of shiny shells left. Chickens couldn't have picked it any cleaner, judging by what they left, Wonder woman and I left over half the meal in the scrap bucket, almost could make someone feel ashamed.

Wonder woman is irish, hand her a stemmed cherry and get back a stem with a knot, no cherry, ask any questions and come up one cheek less from the ass chawin, any questions?

Friday I finished relocating electrical related to the sub panel so it would be far enough from the corner post of the original pole barn that I could put in some more interior walls, Finishing the inside of a pole barn is a whole nuther form of construction than I am used to but it is coming along, of course it would be more fun if everything didn't start out with moving all the machinery, cabinets and such so you can build the wall then put it back though I do get a better job of sweeping the floor. My rack for sanding belts looked better hanging on a pole barn than it does on a finished wall so I recon I will have to make something a bit nicer before too long. I think I have about 30 feet of wall to finish in the machine shop and 50 or so in the fab shop and fishing/motorcycle weather is coming soon.
IMG_4527.jpgIMG_4528 (1).jpgIMG_4530 (1).jpg

It's a slippery slope when you want everything to look decent and match well enough. I can remember back when I was thrilled with just functional. A concrete floor was neat and extension cords airhoses strung all over the floor worked pretty good.

I think part of it for me is knowing how to do it "right" gets me feeling like I have to do it that way. probably because I know it pays off in the long run think it all the way through and put the work in up front.

Back