What's new
What's new

Kustomizer's Shop

Jo and I were able to get the anvil reworked this weekend, it had about an .08 saddle wore into it from 100+ years of beating on it, the old guy that gave it to me some years back is coming to visit. He is bringing an oak trunk 18" in dia by 30 inches tall to make it a stand and he would like to see it all ready to use before he heads home. It belonged to his grandad, his father and he is 80 as of last week.
View attachment 370457View attachment 370458View attachment 370459
You need one of these official Haas engine hoists. ($1495 - we have one at work and it's worth every penny in avoided back injuries. We can't get our forklift in front of the machine, or we'd use that.)

I use the board trick to schlep a slotting head onto my horizontal mill's overarm.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

You need one of these official Haas engine hoists. ($1495 - we have one at work and it's worth every penny in avoided back injuries. We can't get our forklift in front of the machine, or we'd use that.)

I use the board trick to schlep a slotting head onto my horizontal mill's overarm.

View attachment 370505
Apparently the "Carolina" guys don't make it all the way to Cali?

---------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I was gifted a fair bit of 2", 3", 4" and 6" copper pipe after the fire in 2015, black, bent some but copper just the same.
These were from sheet, .068 thick left over from the California gold rush, they poured mercury on them then gold fines. The bull rider on the hat is a Mexican silver coin engraved then cut out on a VMC, the rest is hand beat on that anvil before I surfaced it but on this project I wanted it rough.. For reference, the boots are a size 14 and fit my feet before I put the uppers on. This was donated to the bull rider relief fund to help out bull riders that get hurt, it fetched 7k in an auction
boot4.pngboot3.pngboot1.pngboot.png

Last edited:
Some old friends from California came by to visit, they brought an oak log for me to make an anvil stand. I made a template the shape of the anvil base then routed an inch deep pocket for the anvil to set into. We then set about moving bunches of heavy stuff in the overseas containers, i now have my English wheel, bead roller, shrinker/stretcher along with all the dies. Sure was good they came by as there was a bunch of heavy stuff in the way. A lot still needs proper homes, but all the heavy stuff is in.
IMG_0038 (1).jpgIMG_0039.jpgIMG_5214.jpg

I'd never seen a anvil on a metal stand til around 10 years ago . They have always been on a
nice big round hunk of tree . Except for mine , it's been sittin on the floor in my shop waiting for the right round for a base . Maybe this year ?
animal

Damn. You have every metalshaping toy and a power hammer too? Now I'm envious of ALL your shops.
I've been gathering and making tools for a long time, I have a planishing hammer somewhere but as of yet it is unseen. My focus is fairly broad spectrum making it difficult to stay on one track for very long, were I in school these days they would feed me Ritalin by the handful and leave me in a corner to slobber on myself. It is good for me to live out away from population, keep my mind challenged and my hands busy.

No power hammer yet, I plan to build one as I want a small one with a horizontal anvil that will allow me to hammer on tubular projects.

Back