What's new
What's new

L.T.C. ROLT (Tom)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, Ranks right up there with Sir Paul.....:nutter:

Doug, just because you don't know anything about much outside your bubble, doesn't make you an arbiter of things here. Especially when you go out of your way to display both your ignorance and how little you care about correcting it.

I live on the other side of the world and I've got books by Tom Rolt. Including 'Green and Silver' an account of his travels by canal in Ireland.

The canal system in the UK was one of the drivers of mass goods and raw materials transport. If you don't know about this, then you really are grossly ignorant of industrial history.

PDW

Doug, just because you don't know anything about much outside your bubble, doesn't make you an arbiter of things here. Especially when you go out of your way to display both your ignorance and how little you care about correcting it.

I live on the other side of the world and I've got books by Tom Rolt. Including 'Green and Silver' an account of his travels by canal in Ireland.

The canal system in the UK was one of the drivers of mass goods and raw materials transport. If you don't know about this, then you really are grossly ignorant of industrial history.

PDW

some people just don't have any appreciation of some of the interesting parts of transportation history.
with out the canal system moving good in Britain wouldn't have been as easy:cheers:

Just recently there have been several really good TV programmes over here regarding our canal system. When I was growing up in the 1960's the canal system, although no longer being used commercially, still came right into the centre of town. The company I worked for at the time had warehouses down by the dock and we used to service the cranes etc even though they were no longer in use.

The dock area has been largely built over unfortunately but you still go from Yorkshire to Lancashire by barge. Sadly the canal now only skirts Rochdale but in places like Hebden Bridge the canal still goes right through the centre of town.

Regards Tyrone.

Just recently there have been several really good TV programmes over here regarding our canal system. When I was growing up in the 1960's the canal system, although no longer being used commercially, still came right into the centre of town. The company I worked for at the time had warehouses down by the dock and we used to service the cranes etc even though they were no longer in use.

The dock area has been largely built over unfortunately but you still go from Yorkshire to Lancashire by barge. Sadly the canal now only skirts Rochdale but in places like Hebden Bridge the canal still goes right through the centre of town.

Regards Tyrone.

There's quite a lot of YouTube vids on people running narrowboats on the canals. I'm quite a fan. The potted history and the architecture are really interesting.

PDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back