What's new
What's new

Lagun FT1 Step Pulley Bearing

TexasDan

Plastic
Howdy from Texas!

I've got a Lagun FT1 mill and I'm having a hard time with it.

I need to replace the bearing on the step pulley but I can't seem to get this darn thing to cooperate.

I see a keyway, but there is nothing in it. No key, no set screw, nothing.
I've tried pulling it with a 3 jaw puller and I've tried turning the top ring but no matter what I do I cant' seem to make any progress.

I'll take any help I can get.

Thanks,

-Dan
image0.jpg
image1.jpg

That slot isn't for a key..it's for the inner tang of the lock ring. That big thing on top is a retainer nut, after you bend the locking tab out, it will unscrew.

Stuart

That's what I thought but it absolutely won't budge. Maybe I'll try using some more force. I've tried a chisel, big pliers, strap wrench and so far I haven't been able to get it to move at all. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the response.

-Dan

Dan,

That retainer has a soul and you must out think it to achieve success. I'm not familiar with that machine, but is it possible that's a left hand thread and all your work is actually tightening it? What does YouTube and Google have to say on your conundrum?

Stuart

Dan,

That retainer has a soul and you must out think it to achieve success. I'm not familiar with that machine, but is it possible that's a left hand thread and all your work is actually tightening it? What does YouTube and Google have to say on your conundrum?

Stuart

I wish YouTube had anything to say but so far I haven't found a single video or website where someone has replaced it. I have tried rotating it both directions but so far no luck.

It's currently soaking in penetrating oil. It's probably never been apart and I fear I might be fighting rust. I just bought a manual but unfortunately it has nothing on the step head but a page saying.... it has a step pulley head. Go figure. I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the support :-)

-Dan

Maybe this is of some use? From an FT-2 manual:

lagun_ft2_head.jpg

(Sorry, not identifiers for the parts numbers)

Got It. Finally. Whew! That thing was rusted on so bad I had to use ALL the leverage I could manage to get it to budge. After that it was smooth sailing.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in :-)

-Dan

Back