What's new
What's new

Large collection of pre 1900 machine tools for sale

Greg Johnson

Plastic
A good friend passed away a few years ago and I have been tasked to find new homes for his collection of early machine and woodworking machines.

First I want to say the collection is in San Diego, California and no shipping is possible. If you want to buy something it will need to be picked up in San Diego. The collection is mostly in a huge basement under his 1912 vintage house. Several machines were set up and running on lineshaft, powered either by an electric motor or a 1906, 25 HP Western single cylinder hit and miss gas engine. We have a forklift to remove the machines from the basement and can load on a truck or trailer. Some machines have been spoken for and they are not listed here.

Prices will be very reasonable, around 1.5 times scrap value, as we want them to get good long term homes and not end up with the cast iron leg merchants.

Following is a partial list. Dates are estimates. I can email or text photos but please ask IF your are truly interested and willing to pick up in San Diego.

-1885 20" swing New Haven lathe, dirty but complete with countershaft
-1850-60 Putnam lathe, quite small, perhaps 11" swing, original condition but missing original tailstock.
-1880 4 ft. Whitcomb planer, nice condition, complete, was repainted many years ago.
-1865-1869 Windsor Mfg. Co. planer, 5 ft. nice and ornate, missing bull gear and shaft, Made in the building that is now American Precision Museum.
-1890 Rochester planer, 6 ft. nice condition and running on line shaft. not terrible heavy.
-1880 P and W planer, 3'-4' table. It was badly damaged by a trucking company with the housings broken off. What remains is the base, legs, table and belt shifting mechanism.
-1880-90 12" Aurora shaper, belt shifting style, quite light
-1880 12" P and W shaper, nice condition.
-top section of a 6" Boynton and Plummer shaper, no flywheel or legs. Could be bench mounted.
-1900 radial drill press, interesting design with box column and dovetail ways on the column that the arm moves vertically on. 3 ft. arm,nice condition on lineshaft
-1900 2 camelback drill presses, medium size.
-1880 small P and W turret lathe.
-1880 small turret lathe, may be Jones and Lampson??? From Ed Battison collection around 1990, rusty.
-1870-80 horizontal boring mill, early style, rough condition, heavy. Came from Ed Battison collection around 1990. Very rare machine.
-1870 Putnam patternmakers lathe, 24" swing X 96". Nice oval pattern cast into bed, missing wood cone pulley. Very nice machine.
-Many cast iron pulleys, countershaft hangers and lots of misc. belt shifters, forks, clutches, etc. Some of the countershaft hangers will be sold with the machines.

The gas engine that powered the shop has been sold. Please PM me and I will send photos of specific machines. They are very closely packed in and impossible to photograph properly but I will do my best to show details. I hope good homes can be found for this collection. I work full time and only get to the collection on weekends so photos will take a few days.

Thanks to PM some of these machines will be going to new homes. The Windsor and Whitcomb planers are spoken for. One camelback drill press is sold and it looks like the small Putnam lathe will go to a new home. Also had some interest in the radial drill press.
thanks for looking!

Really a shame you could not post pictures here of the whole collection as it originally was set up.

The small Putnam lathe is once again available. Sorry for no photos but as Enginebill says (he has seen the place)it is so full that good photos are not possible.
There are some machines that you cannot even get to without climbing over other machines.

PLEASE !

Any pics, no matter how badly framed, would sure be nice.

Can some of the buyers post pics, too ?

We'd all love to see them.

Especially Painted and Pinstriped examples.

Here are the pictures of the Windsor planer.

Attachments

• Windsor planer (1).jpg
    Windsor planer (1).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Windsor planer (2).jpg
    Windsor planer (2).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Windsor planer (3).jpg
    Windsor planer (3).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Windsor planer (5).JPG
    Windsor planer (5).JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Windsor planer (4).jpg
    Windsor planer (4).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 221
That depends on whether you're a hoarder or a machine tool user. Did you miss the bit that said 'can't walk through it or do anything in it'?

Why have tools at all if you can't use them?

PDW

Remember that this is the antique forum.
The point is to save antique machine tools for future generations, whether you use them or not.

Rob

American Precision Museum - Home

Have they been contacted ?

They have many machines already, but you never know.

Thanks for the thought. Some of the machines came from American Precision Museum with the help of Ed Battison. Ed would arrange for a machine to be deaccessioned and then sold with the money going to the museum. They were either duplicates or near duplicates and the museum was (and probably still is) out of space.

Another one will be coming to a new home.

A Nicholson & Waterman traverse drill.
Stephen Nicholson, superintendent of Nicholson File Co. and son of William T. Nicholson of Nicholson File Co. and Stephen Waterman, son in law of William T. Nicholson.

I will be repurposing the legs from a bench back into a machine.

Rob

Attachments

• Nicholson & Waterman traverse drill 4_LI.jpg
    Nicholson & Waterman traverse drill 4_LI.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Nicholson & Waterman traverse drill 2_LI.jpg
    Nicholson & Waterman traverse drill 2_LI.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Nicholson & Waterman traverse drill 1_LI.jpg
    Nicholson & Waterman traverse drill 1_LI.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 133
  • Nicholson & Waterman traverse drill 6_LI.jpg