What's new
What's new

Large Diameter (12-16") Smooth Surface Stainless Drum - Need Ideas arbor

snowman

Diamond
I need to make a rotating stainless drum that is approximately 12-16" in diameter, 10" long on the large surface, with axles that are 1" give or take in diameter. The only requirement of the stainless is that it hold shape, be "smooth" and be made of stainless. It's an electrical conductor only, and spins at a low rpm. (electrostatic separation)

Of course, the budget is as cheap as possible since this is garage science...and I don't have anything that can swing a 14" diameter slug of stainless solid or pipe that could also leave a smooth surface on it with a small diameter axle. I'd have to end up using a belt grinder to get it to size, which would work, though tedious.

I've considered just using a stainless stock pot with an expanding drum, but don't have much of a clue as to how to make a 14" diameter expanding drum. Plywood? A little runout will be ok, but I don't want more than what i can easily see.

Just need help from some guys that can think out of the box for a few.

Kevin T

Stainless
I like the stock pot idea! Overstock.com might have one for cheap. Don't understand the arbor requirement, how fast does it spin? The bottoms of a lot of the stock pots can be thick. Can you use one that has a copper sandwich bottom? Those are even thicker. Is the axle like the handle on this bell?

1.jpg873260d2-c38f-49da-ba44-8e0099a0790cOriginal.jpg

David Ferguson

Aluminum
I would think you could do this with rolled sheet and weld the ends together. The key would be your wheel/spokes (at least one at each end to keep the round shape). The thickness of the sheet will depend on how much load there will be that would try to buckle the drum.

Bill D

Diamond
Air ducting tubes? I would look into a piece of pvc pipe and wrap sheet metal or wire a screen around that. Even metal spray paint might conduct electricty static charge. Water heater tanks. air tanks, milk cans, most dewars. I have seen round stainless beer kegs and race car fuel tanks.
Bill D

boslab

Titanium
Milk churn, ready spun but I don’t know where over there, even if the same ones were used to the old U.K. ones
Mark

boslab

Titanium
Since the infractions in Europe metal or micro alloy elements are going bat shit bonkers, chrome copper titanium, raw materials for anything are going to get really bad I fear, stock up?
Mark

snowman

Diamond
I actually have a piece of stainless tubing that will work. It was hiding in my stainless scrap which was under snow when I wrote the topic.

Now I just have to figure out some type of expanding drum mandrel. Probably plywood with bondo that can be sanded to size, then hotglue for a little stiction.