What's new
What's new

Large Digital Calipers

ARB

Titanium
Has anyone had experience with 40 inch Mitutoyo Digital calipers?
They have a few varieties to choose from. These are about the same price as their vernier calipers of the same size. I have had good luck in the past with their 6 and 12 inch Digimatics but never had a chance to handle a set of 40 inchers.

I am needing to get a 40 inch set and can't make up my mind whic way to go.

I have a 40" Mitu vernier caliper and it's a very fine measuring tool; smooth working, easy to read, and accurate as hell. If the digital version is in the same class you will certainly be happy with it. Affordability is another matter. They are spendyat $800+.

I played with a set. not that I actually had any way to actually check them for accuracy, but just as an overall impression of quality they are every bit as nice as the 6-8" versions.

I have a 40" Mitu vernier caliper and it's a very fine measuring tool; smooth working, easy to read, and accurate as hell. If the digital version is in the same class you will certainly be happy with it. Affordability is another matter. They are spendyat $800+.

Do you have a current source to buy the 40" Mit Vern for that price?

I looked it up in J&L and it was closer to $1400

Right now the Fowler 40" is on sale at Enco for just under 4 bills. That is tempting for as often as I am going to use them.

If I could buy the Mitutoyo for 800 I would.

I have used the Mits 40" digital at a previous shop,they were nice.the only thing I didnt like about them is they seemed too like being really clean too give the proper measurement(we machined composites thou). If you could find them for less than the 1400 dollar retail price id say go for it. they are just as good as the other mit digitals out there.

I use a set of Mitutoyo 24's, and am well pleased with their performance.
I would take the gamble on the 40's without batting an eye....of course as with any caliper, don't rely on them to hold .001. I never use a caliper unless tolerances allow at least five....even though my Mit's have generally concurred with a micrometer to .001, I don't rely on them to hold that tolerance alone.
Don't buy the Fowler...for a grand cheaper no matter.
I have never had any luck with fowler's digital anything. They seem to be very touchy as that the oil from your fingers will cause them errant readings.
There are a few sets of those laying around the shop, and as far as I am concerned they are only good for setting on your print to keep it from blowing around....pretty pricey paperweights...

I have a 24" Fowler and have used them a LOT over the last 2-3 yrs. I have had nothing but good luck with them. Have always agreed with mics - when possible to compare. Even last week when I was comparing a 13" bore between a set of ID mics - checked with OD mics, and the inside part of the caliper. They were all in prolly a .0005 range. And the ID points on the 24" calipers is clear out on the tips - not a shorter set on the back like the smaller calipers.

------

I have handled a set of 40 or 48" Mit Carbon Fiber calipers. Off the top of my head I am thinking that they are only maybe $2200 @ MSC?

For a toy of this size - that carbon fiber would be VERY nice! I also assume that the carbon fibre doesn't move so much with heat from your paws?

One note tho:

The set that I handled had a tight spot aboot 3/4 the way open. It would have been tough to git a good reading in that area. I hafta assume that they were damaged and did not come that way? But I Shirely don't know.

----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You could take my comments on the Fowler's with a grain of salt.
I know there are different grades of Fowler, and in my experience they must have been the low end....truly, they were hardly good for anything besides a paperweight.
I can't see them cutting corners on something as large as 40"...even 24's they know people are going to be willing to spend some $$$ on something like that, and that they won't be cutting corners....maybe they would be good ?????

Truthfully, though....I trust verniers just about as much as a micrometer after proving the accuracy of them against a mic...I even have a china...no name set of vernier 18's that are as good as anything in the shop.

I have a 40" Shars dial caliper. I have checked it with 12",13",and 14" old,but like new Brown and Sharpe micrometer standards. The caliper is only .002" out even at the longest,14" distance. They are only $219.00. They measure the mic. standards very consistently every time. I was surprised at their accuracy for such large calipers from China.

carbon fiber calipers are great, My 12" brown and sharpe calipers are carbon fiber,they are very light and comfy too use. Carbon fiber when bonded correctly is stronger than steel,because it is bonded at the molecular level.It is also not very affected by temperatures of someone holding it.

Do you have a current source to buy the 40" Mit Vern for that price?

I looked it up in J&L and it was closer to $1400

Right now the Fowler 40" is on sale at Enco for just under 4 bills. That is tempting for as often as I am going to use them.

If I could buy the Mitutoyo for 800 I would.

I should clarify this by saying that the Fowlers are Vernier. Big Difference.

I know this is maybe apples to oranges but ..

Thanks for the input guys.

[I have never used ANYTHING vernier in my life]

How does a lone person hold a 40" caliper and read the vernier on it and expect to git a good reading?

I assume these are similar to the tenths readings on mics eh?

[/I have never used ANYTHING vernier in my life]

--------------

Either way - that's a LONG tool!
Ox

We have 24" fowler digital calipers where I work and I would not recommend them. The thing seems to have a mind of its own. Maybe the battery is dying maybe it has seen some unapparent abuse but it's readings are consistently erratic much like the super cheap digi 12 inchers you can get at Harbor Freight.

Mit clapers

I have used the Mit 40's. They are not bad. Have to be careful how you hold them but are good to a couple, less once you get the feel. They are kind of awkward because of the length and the size of the measuring jaws. Also, they don’t like to be moved up and down the scale too fast (they get lost), but they work for me I am old and slow. :bawling:

Have a set of BS carbon. I think they are fine if you do not work around carbon fiber, seems to get between the scale and the reader. Really messes them up. :nutter:

Have a set of Starrett waterproof 12". I really like them. :D

MazaTroll - Be nice to my HF calipers, I have three sets (4, 6 and 6). The 4s are very close as are one of the 6s. The other is always within .001. They are much better in measuring than my Mit 8 inchers. They are only good to 1 on a good day.

Other than the Starretts none of them like to get wet. You will loose the ability to use them until they dry out. :toetap:

Last edited:

Back