What's new
What's new

Large Drill on pallet-good or bad?

That is when I got the “ we know how to do it” response.

If it were me, I'd politely tell them, "I'm cancelling the order. This is how I do it."

Because otherwise, when it arrives toppled, their response will be, "this is the first time it's ever happened." :rolleyes5:

The center of gravity looks to be at least half way up the machine. Even if bolted and strapped it will tip over the entire pallet. Can the head and table be cranked down lower to the base?
The COG above base is probably double the 1/2 width of pallet so it already has a two to one advantage towards tipping. Check the table edges on arrival to make sure they are not cracked. Also check base to column for cracks.
Bill D

Looking more carefully I think the COG is above the load straps. I doubt the table lock lever is designed to carry the full weight of the machine as it must for this arrangement to survive.
Bill D

You have to consider the shippers math. By poorly packing goods he can decrease the workers time and cost. Saving maybe 15 minutes per big item. Multiply that by several times a day and he can save over $5,000 a year in labor plus materials and tools to make the crates. So if he loses $3,500 a year to damage he is money ahead and the bean counter is happy.
A good worker who knows what he is doing will have almost no payable damage to the goods but his pay will be higher.
Ever seen how NASA ships stuff to the launch pad? How about the simple crates designed to ship nuclear reactor fuel. I wonder what the inside of a wholesale glass truck looks like. When I toured a glass plant they said they lost most of their inventory when there was a earthquake 90 miles away. I did not see the stuff being moved. Just being cut off the end of the line and stacked on carts to go somewhere?
Bill D

I sell a bit of stuff on the net,and guys want me "to make a wooden crate " ...all for the $20 ebay max shipping fee......Incidentally,if you ship a motorbike by air,you have to have a crate.....which is nothing but a pitiful frame of light steel tube ,and sheet plastic.....they charge $1500 !!! for this "crate"

If I were shipping this I would cut the top out of a "Tank tote", lower the table all the way, set the DP in the center, wrap it with plastic, and pack tires around it inside the tote. Then cross-strap it, compressing the walls around the tires & DP
At minimum, a seriously HD pallet, reinforced with 3/4" plywood and properly bolted down.
Otherwise, I'd suggest cancelling the deal.

Just getting some feedback on the used machinery dealer prep of this machine for shipping to my location.
I suggested it was not really that great and would like some opinions. No skin off my back if it arrives damaged, I will get a refund. (I have it in writing)

maybe, but what are you going to do, sue?

imo when something is damaged in shipping, b2b, (where there isn't some big retailer standing behind everything) possession of the cash is 9/10ths of who wins/is right. Possession of the busted machine is 9/10ths of who owns the problem.

Just getting some feedback on the used machinery dealer prep of this machine for shipping to my location.
I suggested it was not really that great and would like some opinions. No skin off my back if it arrives damaged, I will get a refund. (I have it in writing) I have to pay in full before they will ship and they arranged the shipping.
I asked if it was plastic or metal strapping and got no response other than "this is how we do it".

View attachment 339554

So what happened? Did it arrive safely? Busted? Did you back out of deal? Or convince seller to secure it better? Or.........

If I were shipping this I would cut the top out of a "Tank tote", lower the table all the way, set the DP in the center, wrap it with plastic, and pack tires around it inside the tote. Then cross-strap it, compressing the walls around the tires & DP
At minimum, a seriously HD pallet, reinforced with 3/4" plywood and properly bolted down.
Otherwise, I'd suggest cancelling the deal.

That doesn't make the footprint any wider, and the steel structure under and on the sides of totes isn't very strong to withstand that DP leaning against it.

These guys are all the same...rely on the trucker to properly secure the machine....he s the one has to take the heat when the thing turns up on the back of his truck busted .....not to mention ,if it falls over it damages other freight ,and spills oil all over the deck ,which has to be cleaned before the next load.

These guys are all the same...rely on the trucker to properly secure the machine....he s the one has to take the heat when the thing turns up on the back of his truck busted .....not to mention ,if it falls over it damages other freight ,and spills oil all over the deck ,which has to be cleaned before the next load.
Off coarse the deriver iver is responsable He is the one who has to secure the load He is legaly obligated Over here it is regulated how many straps on how heavy a load is Here a load is automaticly insured to a max of about €10/ kg on most international transport Within the EU anyway

Peter

That is a Spanish made Erlo... nice drill press. Others are right.. it will not make it like that. I once had a pristine late model Alzmetall drill shipped similar ... it arrived upright but the upper guard was cracked and handwheels bent. Then I noticed wood chips in most of the allen bolt heads on the damaged side and realized it fell over somewhere in the trucking saga and they put it upright before delivery. And that Erlo is even more top heavy than the Alzmetall was.

At least it was upright... I once ordered a new Ellis horizontal bandsaw and it arrived upside down.... same deal, fell over at some point and they didn't know which side went "up".

These idiots also put a heavy machine with concentrated loads on a POS disposable pallet.....the pallet collapses in spots and tips the machine over....dosent matter if its steel banded on ,bands come loose and it tips over.

I always overdo it with crating, packing and protection when shipping equipment, so it amazes me just how shoddy and careless a lot of equipment packaging is. If you are selling something, I would think the least one could do is make sure the item is well secured and protected. Most pallets seem very shoddy, so I build my own skid / pallet.

Last edited:
Most pallets seem very shoddy, so I build my own skid / pallet.

Ya'know, you'd think this seems like a nice idea, right?
Well, with some shippers, if the load isn't on an "official" pallet, they WILL put it on one.

I had two small milling machines shipped, a year apart, with Fastenal.
For the first one, the seller found a decent standard pallet, put a 3/4" plywood top on it, and bolted the crated machine to it - It arrived securely on the pallet, no issues.

The second one, however, was different - The seller made a fine sturdy crate, with fine skids under it, BUT it wasn't an "official" pallet size.
So, Fastenal, in their infinite wisdom, put his fine crate on the crappiest, 1/2 broken pallet I've ever seen, and shipped it like that, just sitting on the broken pallet.

When the forklift driver brought it out of the back warehouse, it was rocking side to side so bad, he was driving the lift at about 1/10th mph. with his eyes bulging out - I made him put it down, narrow the forks, and pick up the crate alone. Absolutely rock steady then. I'm still amazed it made it all the way here....

Moral is, check out what the shipper requires - Don't assume that just because you build something nice and reasonable, doesn't mean those bozos will go along with it.

Back