What's new
What's new

Large Drill on pallet-good or bad?

M. Moore

Titanium
Just getting some feedback on the used machinery dealer prep of this machine for shipping to my location.
I suggested it was not really that great and would like some opinions. No skin off my back if it arrives damaged, I will get a refund. (I have it in writing) I have to pay in full before they will ship and they arranged the shipping.
I asked if it was plastic or metal strapping and got no response other than "this is how we do it".

Erhlodrill.jpg

Shipper is stupid. I'd not pay for that. The drill will rock back and forth a little, loosening the end boards on the pallet. Then, since the strapping is a little loose, it will rock a little more. Then the end boards come off the stringers and the drill is completely loose.

The only thing going for this is it actually looks sketchy enough that the driver stabilize it with a load bar under the head. They might decide they don’t want to deal with it if it falls over.

This is a big might.

I heard a story about a window company finding out they had lower damage rates shipping the windows strapped vertical out in the open than crated. No one messed with the open air glass loads. Second hand, so not sure if it’s true.

Problem is, your drill is just going to off its self mid exit ramp. That thing doesn’t look light and it isn’t that pallets first trip to the rodeo. The straps might just walk of the table the way they have them.

Credit card payment only, chargeback on standby.

Please, let us know how this goes.

Driver? is it going to get that far.....fall over on forklift more likely.....why havent they got a roll of the plastic sheet everyone uses now......simple to apply,once its gone over to shrink it ,its just about indestructable......and pilfer proof.

The only good thing is that it is not that far away and it is supposed to go by flat deck and be strapped down. The problem is the transfer from one truck to the other as I see it and I do doubt it would be on just one truck for the trip.

The pendulum on top is an especially nice feature for shipping.

It would have been nice if they at least centered it on the pallet and put something on the table to protect the edges (not that those would help much).

On the bright side, if it makes it to your end, maybe you can buy it for scrap value.

I just refused to buy a 12” jointer from a guy two provinces over as he would only strap to a pallet with two metal straps. The General 780 jointer I was considering has a heck of a lot lower center of gravity than that drill and is probably lighter. No way would I ship a drill like that and would flat out refuse to buy from that seller unless he agrees to do things the way I want. It’s not worth my time to get into an argument about a refund after it's broken. Suggest look for another seller- there’s plenty of drills in lower mainland.

Not to be a poop disturber, but for not much more floor space, a two or three foot radial drill could be had…..

L7

Insist the bottom gets bolted to pallet, insist they provide photos of bolts used and in place

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

That pallet is too flimsy to be helpfull
I prefere decent straps over bolts
Drilling machine is always a bitch to transport
Horizontal you need a special big enough pallet and blocks to keep the vulnarable parts free from the pallet
Vertical you need the machine strapped to the truck and a very carefull forktruckdriver
Beter buy 2 of them Strapped to a decent pallet side by side and tables same height and solid connected to one another

Peter

I agree with all comments. I very politely suggested that they at least lower the table and then strap around the motor base, down under the pallet, up and around the motor base and then back down under the pallet and back up to the start, then do it again. I also suggested blocking the base to the pallet after putting a piece
of plywood underneath.
That is when I got the “ we know how to do it” response.
It does look like a good drill and I would like to receive it in the upright position.

Only way I can see it being sent on a pallet upright, if the pallet was at least 6' square, and built with larger timbers.

Its amazing how many shippers just refuse to add in a couple lag bolts, despite the too small of a pallet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That does look like a pretty shaky setup for traveling by freight carrier. If it actually IS going on a flatbed open trailer, at least there will be a chance of a strap (or two) across the base of the machine. That's perhaps why the machine seller is so sanguine about the weak-ass palletizing.

There’s a simple solution for shippers who refuse to properly secure stuff they’re selling- refuse to buy from them AND tell them why.

For the OP, I’ve had good dealings on several machines with Bell Machinery across the moat from you. You probably know them.

L7

Back