What's new
What's new

Large threading gear set - what lathe?

JTknives

Plastic
This set came with my lathe and clearly does not go with it. But he just sold me all his lathe stuff at once. I have no idea what lathe thy go with but it looks like a complete set. I figured someone out there would know what machine thy go to. There are a few more in the set that are not in the picture. Thanks guys

Photo%20Oct%2031%2C%204%2050%2013%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Oct%2031%2C%204%2050%2015%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Oct%2031%2C%204%2050%2024%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Oct%2031%2C%204%2050%2028%20PM.jpg

You can make this a little easier for us if you list the tooth count, DP and PA if possible and face width/outside diameters. Bore size will also help but not important. That big one is not part of that set.

Lathe change gears are typically "stamped" with the tooth count, either on the machined rim face or on the machined face of the shaft boss. This stamp is typically aligned with some relationship to the shaft key: either alongside or opposite, and this orientation can be either to boss or rim. A set is usually done all the same way.

The cast in numbers usually are identifier for the casting source. A similar cast in number might be machined to two different ODs and tooth count depending if the tooth count/finished diameter can be squeezed onto the casting.

Not saying they're not lathe gears. Each lathe producer had "their system" of course.

Joe in NH

JTknives:

After I read your post, I realized that I was quite familiar with this style of lathe Change Gear. Over the years, I have posted the
history of the lathe these were used on. These are the change gears for a J.J. McCabe Double Spindle Lathe, the 26-48 Heavy Pattern model. You will notice that the Casting Number is 26-48 L, to designate the Heavy Pattern model. The two other Casting Numbers will start 24-40 and 26-44, both for earlier, lighter models. My Heavy Pattern model is equipped with factory risers and a factory motor drive. With the risers it will swing 32 inches on the lower spindle and 54 inches on the upper spindle and 12 feet between centers.
If you decide that you would like to sell any of the changes gears, send me a list of the casting numbers and the price per gear. I
don't have a complete set of change gears and I am always looking for spares to keep the old beast running.

Hendeyman

Back