What's new
What's new

Large tool and material lot

bobbygillfc1503

Plastic
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. My two good friends are high level management at Oberg industries here in Pennsylvania. They told me to take my goods to local shops. Any other advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_163539273_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230725_163539273_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20230725_163547233_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230725_163547233_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20230725_204257415_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230725_204257415_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20230725_163505756_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230725_163505756_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20230725_163541724_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230725_163541724_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20230725_163456861_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230725_163456861_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 198
Take your goodies to vintage car swaps ,and machinery flea markets .......or you can sell on ebay ......I can see some usefull stuff there ,in among the junk .............However ,if youre a beginner at selling trinkets ,be very careful of the smarties who will pick out the good stuff in the first 10 minutes and offer scrap prices .............Sort your stuff into valuable and junk before you go to the sales,and price the valuable stuff.

Take your goodies to vintage car swaps ,and machinery flea markets .......or you can sell on ebay ......I can see some usefull stuff there ,in among the junk .............However ,if youre a beginner at selling trinkets ,be very careful of the smarties who will pick out the good stuff in the first 10 minutes and offer scrap prices .............Sort your stuff into valuable and junk before you go to the sales,and price the valuable stuff.
Im new to the machinery stuff. Besides the obvious junk, chipped or broke Blades and bits, how do I know what's still the good stuff(aside from wax sealed and obviously new).

You need to do your homework if you are to be a successful trader ..........anything new should be held back from your first sale .........you will have to face up to some agressive people at the swaps .........if youre not happy with the to and fro of stall trading ,then go to a couple as a looker first ,and talk to some of the traders .........its a great way to spend a Saturday ,or even a weekend.

Any other advice?
The taps maybe have some value. The rest is honestly scrap. If you had a shop, leaving that stuff stuck in bins somewhere in case some day you might use something is possible, but that's about it.

Actually buying it ? no.

If you put all those antique cutters in a box and and threw in the unmarked steel then tried to get $50 for it from some guys who mess around on their 1937 K&T in the garage, maybe. That's about the best I would hope for.

Hope you can get $500 for it and tell me I'm stupid but not holding my breath.

No,learn face to face trading ,face up to bikies and tattoed women ,learn to tell lookers from buyers .........for s successful day,you need tons of stuff for people to sort thru ......thats the secret ,lots of stuff .........they will find some goodie ,and youll go home with pockets stuffed with cash ..........beware of the taxman though .........the IRS take an interest in traders.

The cutters would be useful to someone with a horizontal mill (like me) but since they are all likely shipped or dull, the value isn't going to be all that much. The bits of round bar would be good for a hobbyist. The taps looks like they would be useful to anyone with a machine shop, home or commercial, I suppose.

If you want to get rid of it fast, scrap yard. If you're looking for top dollar, eBay and patience.

What part of PA? I'm an hour west Erie.

The cutters would be useful to someone with a horizontal mill (like me)

Didn't mean to insult you, Mule :D In fact just ran a 2H for a few days a couple months ago, first-opping some bars to a known length. But we used a sandvik insert facemill, not a chipped, broken 1950 hss cutter.

If he got a tool and cutter grinder and sharpened them all up, then bought one of those hot-dip pots to put the plastic skin on them, then put them on fleabay and sold for a few bucks each less the charges and trips to the post office, he could maybe make $100 in about five years.

The cutters would be useful to someone with a horizontal mill (like me) but since they are all likely shipped or dull, the value isn't going to be all that much. The bits of round bar would be good for a hobbyist. The taps looks like they would be useful to anyone with a machine shop, home or commercial, I suppose.

If you want to get rid of it fast, scrap yard. If you're looking for top dollar, eBay and patience.

What part of PA? I'm an hour west Erie.
I'm in Ford City.

bobby,
The keyway broaches are probably the most valuable item in the lot. Especially if they are not missing any teeth. They are in the red tubes, one says minuteman on it. The milling cutters with staggered teeth as well as any involute gear cutters next then angle & radius cutters. Most things with rust or broken edges or teeth will not sell well.
My 2 cents.
spaeth

I'd buy some of that stuff if i did not have to ship or work too hard. IOW, "as seen at local flea market"
As has been said, maybe the broaches, some of the horizontal stuff, maybe some steel bits if anything big enough for the planer & shaper...

Saws have gotten stupid expensive, so i'd go through those in the one bin, can't be missing teeth and have to be sharp enough to use. Otherwise the clearance is probably too far gone on plain slitting saws. Still a $1 or $2 item each, face to face transaction. maybe $5 for milled tooth saws in good shape.

But it's too much work to do for "maybe, my estate sale or yours", over mail.

smt

Some of you guys are pretty far off on the value of this stuff I think. Could be easily $1500-3000 in cutters in there if you pieced it out on Ebay. (would be a lot of work) Look into what stuff is actually selling for by searching sold listings. Here is a link to a bunch of sold listings similar to what you have.

Depending on what you have the price can jump up a good bit too.

Last edited:
.... if you pieced it out on Ebay.

(would be a lot of work)

That kind of summarizes it.

Do you feel you would be making money on those onesie=twosie prices under $30, many including free shipping, after cleaning, photos, prep ad, answer questions, package for shipping, schlep to shipping center, field gripes, consider all the items that don't sell or that you have to run more ads with reduced prices, etc? Maybe if it is your full time job. Otherwise it is costing money from productive efforts you could be making at your regular hourly rate.

He's got some useful items. But no matter how it is parsed, the value-to-effort is low & the OP has candidly claimed not to have the barest perception which items might be worth what if any effort.

smt

Value to effort is very relative to your circumstances. Someone could be hoping to get some pocket change for the weekend, or they could be a month away from being foreclosed on. I bet many people earning the average income would happily spend a few hours a day to make an extra $1500 one month.

Last edited:

Back