What's new
What's new

Lathe chuck cart and lifter

tailstock4

Cast Iron
I built this cart the other day out of what I had laying around. Its scale could be up-sized or down. My purpose was to be able to lift the heavier chucks for the American Pacemaker lathe I have. These chucks can weigh upwards to 130 lbs.

The smaller chucks on the front are on the cart for storage. The first picture is of the individual pieces. The cart itself bears no weight or stress from the chucks. I’ve tested the lifter up to 230 lbs. with no problems. The lifter has a 30” reach and is 7’ tall. The cart is 4’ long overall. And the cabinet is 20.5” wide, 30” long and 36” tall. The lifting mechanism is just a Harbor Freight 500 lb. chain come-along which is adequate and quick.

The rotation of the lifter is supplied by a 2,500 lb. spindle and hub axle. The only real problem I encountered was with the elbow joint. I originally tried using a bronze bushing. This had entirely too much friction, so I changed to two Koyo 3/4” x 1” x 1/2” wide needle bearings. There is a spacer in between and a ball thrust bearing at the top. This resulted in no friction even when fully loaded.

The lifter works very well in actual use. The articulating arm of the lifter together with its rotation makes aligning and removing chucks very easy and uneventful. It solved my problem.

IMG_0604.jpg IMG_0605.jpg IMG_0606.jpg IMG_0607.jpg IMG_0608.jpg IMG_0609.jpg IMG_0610.jpg IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0612.jpg

Looks good.

I added your photos to my idea list for a shop crane. I need to replace the monstrosity that I currently use. I only have 30" aisles in front of each lathe. It also cannot have straddle legs for loading the VMC.

261 lb capacity plus 25% safety:

IMG_9464.JPG

Bill

Looks good.

I added your photos to my idea list for a shop crane. I need to replace the monstrosity that I currently use. I only have 30" aisles in front of each lathe. It also cannot have straddle legs for loading the VMC.

261 lb capacity plus 25% safety:

View attachment 375674

Bill
Here are pictures of my other two mobile cranes. I’m not sure if these will work for what you want, but I’ll post a picture of them and say the one thing that is really nice about these lifts is the large handle wheel and load brake winch. These allow you to guide the object with one hand and manage the handle wheel to the winch with the other.

The orange one lifts 500 lbs. and the yellow one lifts about 1,500 lbs.

You can never have enough ways to lift something.

IMG_0643.jpg IMG_0644.jpg IMG_0645.jpg

I built a crane that attaches to the bed of my big Colchester lathe.
I had a simple Harbor Freight jib crane in the back of my truck, that fits over a piece of 3" pipe. The crane cost $120 about 2 years ago,, 1,000 lb max rating from memory.
I bolted a simple bracket made from heavy 4" angle to the back of the bed. I can drop a 3" pipe in the bracket and remove it if I need to move the carriage that far. Works a treat for heavy chucks and work pieces.
I also put a pipe on the pack of my BP clone arm so I can use the crane there.

Attachments

• IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    469.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3413.JPG
    IMG_3413.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 40
Nice!
Probably cheaper than all those chiropractor bill!

Steve
Exactly! Every year these chucks get a little heavier, and my control over them becomes a little less. I know that this contraption looks a little like something out of a Dr. Seuss book, but it works better than I'd hoped - especially the rotating elbow.

I built this cart the other day out of what I had laying around. Its scale could be up-sized or down. My purpose was to be able to lift the heavier chucks for the American Pacemaker lathe I have. These chucks can weigh upwards to 130 lbs.

The smaller chucks on the front are on the cart for storage. The first picture is of the individual pieces. The cart itself bears no weight or stress from the chucks. I’ve tested the lifter up to 230 lbs. with no problems. The lifter has a 30” reach and is 7’ tall. The cart is 4’ long overall. And the cabinet is 20.5” wide, 30” long and 36” tall. The lifting mechanism is just a Harbor Freight 500 lb. chain come-along which is adequate and quick.

The rotation of the lifter is supplied by a 2,500 lb. spindle and hub axle. The only real problem I encountered was with the elbow joint. I originally tried using a bronze bushing. This had entirely too much friction, so I changed to two Koyo 3/4” x 1” x 1/2” wide needle bearings. There is a spacer in between and a ball thrust bearing at the top. This resulted in no friction even when fully loaded.

The lifter works very well in actual use. The articulating arm of the lifter together with its rotation makes aligning and removing chucks very easy and uneventful. It solved my problem.

View attachment 375652 View attachment 375653 View attachment 375654 View attachment 375655 View attachment 375656 View attachment 375657 View attachment 375658 View attachment 375659 View attachment 375660
The cart looks awesome, but I want to tour your shop! :D

Boy, that looks awesome!

I hope, one day to make a cart with a built in crane for my mill accessories. But I expect it will only have three storage positions. And, with limited space in my shop, I hope to be able to park it under one side of the mill with clearance for the mill's table to function over it. Motorized, telescoping legs would allow it to rise to or at least near the level of the table.

The cart looks awesome, but I want to tour your shop! :D
Thanks. Here is a link to some pictures of the shop that I posted earlier.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/my-10ee-and-some-shop-pictures.393769/

The pictures are about a year old and the shop has changed a little - mostly in how it is arranged. I'm always trying to improve in that aspect. Maybe if I have time tomorrow I'll add a few more current pictures.

Also, if anyone has advice on shop arrangement or observations for improvement, I'm always open to those.

Boy, that looks awesome!

I hope, one day to make a cart with a built in crane for my mill accessories. But I expect it will only have three storage positions. And, with limited space in my shop, I hope to be able to park it under one side of the mill with clearance for the mill's table to function over it. Motorized, telescoping legs would allow it to rise to or at least near the level of the table.
That sounds like a good plan. If you do decide to build it, be sure to post some pictures. I'd really like to see it as I'm always collecting ideas.

Back