What's new
What's new

lathe cutter height setter, how does this work?

drcoelho

Stainless
I aquired this little device a long while back, and was told it could be used to find the tool cutter height on a lathe, does anyone know how the device is used, what technique?

20221106_185114-small.jpg

OK, i see some advantages to having it stick out both sides of the tool holder, can orient in different directions without having to flip it.
It’s also convenient to have one bearing oriented vertical while the other is horizontal.

My Fathers's 9" South Bend lathe had a factory line cast or maybe machined into the tailstock nose. It was set at the spindle center height. Idea was to set tool so the tip was at that line then swivel it into cutting position without drooping it.
Bill D

Agreed its a bumper.

Shop made. Most likely by someone with a Dickson or similar toolpost having two carries at 90° so one can be orientated along the bed and one across it.

If as, I do, the post is generally fixed so tools either align along the bed or across it that device can live in its own holder and be set up instantly either way round. My favourite flat top, round nose 45° chamfering and finishing tool is double ended and used in that fashion.

If I needed a bumper thats how I'd do it. But the single bearing one I obtained in a box of (allegedly) useful stuff about a quarter of a century back has gotten used about twice so I guess I don't need one!

Clive

I don't do much lathe work as a total hack hobbies BUT I do have about 18 holders for my tool post. I still want more because setting up the tool hight is a boring hassle. Having the cutters ready to go is a worth while luxury IMO.
I made a similar bumper but it never gets used.

I made one, single ended and use it fairly frequently for particular parts. I make a fair number of machine dials, mostly 1-1/2" diameter and 1/2" thick. Plus some much thinner back plates that go with them. If I face the stock, put in graduations, then part off I've got one original surface and one that's uncertain, but needs to be parallel with the first. Since there's such a short length in the jaws, the bearing brings the second side true with the first (within modest limits).

I don't do much lathe work as a total hack hobbies BUT I do have about 18 holders for my tool post. I still want more because setting up the tool hight is a boring hassle. Having the cutters ready to go is a worth while luxury IMO.
I made a similar bumper but it never gets used.
Height setting a "hassle", just make one of these . It takes a few seconds. I made one when I was volunteering at the high school shop and it worked so well I had a bunch of students make a batch. When there are several classes using 8 lathes every time a student starts he has to set the tool height. Those gadgets are so handy. :-) 100_4011.JPG

Any slip of sheet stock that can be pinched lightly between the work, and the tool, is a far sight more useful, as it can actually be used without taking the work out of the chuck. A rule, or a straight piece of sheet stock, will stand perfectly upright, when on center height, it will lean away from the tool post if too high, and towards it, if too low.

As good as the level equipped device may be, it is only good on the lathe it is adjusted for.
Not much use, when you needed a crane to lift the work into the lathe, either. Because the boss is gonna really wonder about your usefulness, if you have to take the work out of the lathe, because you broke a cutting tool!

In an Aloris-style tool holder, one end is positioned for bumping the diameter true and the other for bumping the face true.

Rick “only uses up one holder” Denney

What I use on my Clausing 5914 is a piece of 6061-T6 aluminum rod about 1.25" in diameter carefully turned to be 6.125" long, this being the distance between the flat bedway and the spindle rotation axis. Adjust tool bit up and down to be exactly flush with the top of the 6.125" rod.

A possible improvement is a magnet in one end, to make it less likely to fall off the bedway; it has not yet been sufficient problem for me to make the addition.

I wonder what the average number of tool holder a lathe operator has on hand?
Not quite enough.

And if you knew what the average number was, how would you use that? Everyone has some number that represents the kind of work they do, their preferences for how to work, and the money they think they can invest in tooling.

Back