What's new
What's new

Lathe Gearbox oil? Perfecto NN alternative

Quatlicoptalix

Plastic
Hello I am Jonas from Germany and I need you professional knowledge. I recently aquired a Italian COMEC TGA 210 lathe and now i want to change the gearbox/spindle oil. On the side of the Spindle it says "Castrol Perfecto NN" but i cant find information about this oil. What viskosety would this old oil be now with the ISO VG standard? What oil can i use? The Spindle has a bore of 50mm and goes up to 1800rpm so the Speed of the bearings is quit high, wich makes me think a lighter oil. There are copper and brass elements in the gearbox and also 2 clutches and a magnetic brake, I have heared that not all oils are safe to use with clutches but hydraulic oil should be fine?

Here you can see the Pictures of the gearbox, what do you think?
IMG_20211210_172421-min.jpg

IMG_20211210_172246-min.jpg

IMG_20211210_172257-min.jpg

IMG_20211210_172346-min.jpg

PS: If anyone has Informations about the COMEC TGA 210 or a manual for any similar COMEC machine pls send me a PM!
Thank you all for your help!

Quatlicoptalix

Plastic
Thank you, I also thought that VG68 should be fine. Do you think that I could use a CL 68 or CLP 68 Oil instead of a Turbine Oil?

HappyWyo

Aluminum
It is commendable that you want to keep your equipment in new condition, but the oil in your lathe doesn't wear out anymore than the oil in the original jug. The oil may get dirty and need cleaned, but it is still just as good as new oil. These days when earth worshipping is so prevalent you may want to think of cleaning and continuing to use the existing oil to keep some radical off your back, and save some money at the same time.

Quatlicoptalix

Plastic
It is commendable that you want to keep your equipment in new condition, but the oil in your lathe doesn't wear out anymore than the oil in the original jug. The oil may get dirty and need cleaned, but it is still just as good as new oil. These days when earth worshipping is so prevalent you may want to think of cleaning and continuing to use the existing oil to keep some radical off your back, and save some money at the same time.

Yea I still need to topp it off since a substantial amount of oil is missing and I wasn't shure how good mixing different oils would be. This is also the reason I would need to know what oil "Perfecto NN" is, but the oil suppliers I contacted couldn't help me out and I couldn't find good info or anny form of datasheet for this old oil. Sadly Castrol has no list that states new equivalent oils so I can be shure what to put in. In a German forum people told me a CL 68 should be fine but that is different to the turbine oil stated here I so I am unsure.