What's new
What's new

Lathe losing hydraulic fluid

i just got the dye.. i will try it tomorrow.. I will look around the turret and the chuck etc.. this turret is hydraulic i saw the fittings, which look clean but maybe a seal in the turret itself? its been leaking prob a gallon in the last couple, three weeks.. maybe a touch more. . all into the coolant

Looks like its the turret.. the dye mixed in with all the coolant seems like now so hard to tell really.. but there is enough coming down from the turret, as far as oil that i believe its a seal in there somewhere.. What am i looking at with turret seals etc? what typically does it take to do a job like that? thanks

Is there a block on the backside of the turret in line with the tool that is on station to machine?

I'm not familiar with this machine but Mazak's have a coolant block on the backside of the turret that the hydraulic oil also passes through. There is a piston with several seals on it that is very simple to replace.

Unfortunately if it is the actual turret piston seal that is leaking this will require pulling the turret off the machine to repair.

If you have a maintenance manual and breakdown of the turret assembly you need to start looking over!

Brandon

ok.. so now im thinking its not the turret.. I used the UV dye and its coming from between the covers along the Z axis inside the machining area.. There is no way to get back there, i will remove the covers.. Sound like a hose with a hole in it? or is there something else back there before i dive in.. ? the covers on this will be easier then the turret but not by much there are many of them.. Its def hydraulic and not way oil.. Ideas? Have never opened that

ok.. so now im thinking its not the turret.. I used the UV dye and its coming from between the covers along the Z axis inside the machining area.. There is no way to get back there, i will remove the covers.. Sound like a hose with a hole in it? or is there something else back there before i dive in.. ? the covers on this will be easier then the turret but not by much there are many of them.. Its def hydraulic and not way oil.. Ideas? Have never opened that
are there any hoses near the area? I had an issue that the hose would not show a leak unless you cycled the chuck. then 2 little pin holes looked like snake bite, would dribble fluid.

there may be, i am sure some go through there .. Its between the main chuck and the hydraulic unit.. I will go in there with my little uv flashlight and figure it out..

Looks like you found the problem, and yes it is going to be a big job! It's doable but it will take sometime!

I have seen machines run like this for months and months with no real problems other than consuming more hydraulic oil. The worst thing is the oil will mix into your coolant and start effecting it at some point.
I worked in a 24/7 production facility with a run it till it blows mentality so this type of issue was always "oil is cheap compared to downtime." I hated it!

Brandon

Back