What's new
What's new

Lathe Notes Vol 2

irving2008

Aluminum
Has anyone got a copy of the above? Apparently it contains an article from a 1923 or 1924 Machinery Magazine on current small British lathes including the 'Cheltenham' which it seems might well be my RelMac or its little sister the RelMinor, both manufactured by the Cheltenham Works Co Ltd (previously Relm Machines Ltd). I am hoping there might be some pictures or other info of value.

regards,
Irving..

Irving,

Lathe Notes Vol. 2 mentions Cheltenham Works, Ltd. three times.

Page 5 has a very shot paragraph describing the bed design of the "Relmbee." No illustrations.

Pages 10-13 discuss the "Relmac", "Relminor", and "Super Relm". Line drawings of each accompanies the text.

Pages 25-27 give a nice description of a milling attachment, the "Relmill". Two photos are included.

There is no copyright that I can see, but it is being actively reprinted and sold at very modest price by Lindsay Books.

Since you're in the UK, it can supposedly be had for about 5 pounds from:

Camden Miniature Steam Services
Barrow Farm
Rode near Bath
Somerset BA3 6PS
ENGLAND
01373 830151
fax 01373 830516
www.camdenmin.co.uk
[email protected]

Josh

Irving,

Lathe Notes Vol. 2 mentions Cheltenham Works, Ltd. three times.

Page 5 has a very shot paragraph describing the bed design of the "Relmbee." No illustrations.

Pages 10-13 discuss the "Relmac", "Relminor", and "Super Relm". Line drawings of each accompanies the text.

Pages 25-27 give a nice description of a milling attachment, the "Relmill". Two photos are included.

There is no copyright that I can see, but it is being actively reprinted and sold at very modest price by Lindsay Books.

Since you're in the UK, it can supposedly be had for about 5 pounds from:

Barrow Farm
Rode near Bath
Somerset BA3 6PS
ENGLAND
01373 830151
fax 01373 830516
www.camdenmin.co.uk
[email protected]

Josh
Josh, many thanks for your reply. It seems it's out of stock at the moment at 3 different UK suppliers, 4 - 6 weeks :(. Do you think the line drawings would be of any value to assist in my restoration - in particular understanding the correct operation/setup of the dog-clutch on the end of the leadscrew (see my thread http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157841 for more info)

regards,
Irving...

Hi,

I'm looking for anyone who still has a copy of 'Lathe Notes Vol 2' as the publisher has closed it's doors and no-one seems to have a copy for sale anymore. I have been given an old Relmac lathe and I'm trying to find out more information about it. Would happily pay for photocopies of the pages mentioned above or just digital scans.

Thanks,
Jamie

Hi,

I'm looking for anyone who still has a copy of 'Lathe Notes Vol 2' as the publisher has closed it's doors and no-one seems to have a copy for sale anymore. I have been given an old Relmac lathe and I'm trying to find out more information about it. Would happily pay for photocopies of the pages mentioned above or just digital scans.

Thanks,
Jamie

Have you tried search on Google books, EU or UK Fleabay, old book and magazine dealers? Maybe some of the Model Engineering clubs? Most be some old copies moldering away over there.

"Weeble" has posted since 02-18-2009, almost zero chance he's going to pop in.

Lindsay Publication Remnants at "Your Old Time Bookstore"

When Lindsay Publications closed up due to retirement, the remaining books went to "Your Old Time Bookstore"

https://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/

They list only Volumes 1, 5, and 6 of Lathe Notes on their website.

It's possible that they might have a copy of Volume 2 laying about; it would not hurt to inquire.

This thread is an example of the necessity of BUYING the books that you like.
A) If no one BUYS the kind of books which you like, then no one will publish them.
B) Special-interest books go "out-of-print" in a remarkably short period of time and then the price for a used copy starts to climb.

You can talk about all the books that are available on-line, but there is nothing like having the physical book in your hand. It can be accessed either sequentially or randomly with equal ease. Recent studies show much better retention of information from printed copies as compared to seeing the same book electronically.

The link given by Weeble is very interesting because it iffers many UK-published books that we Yanks haven't seen:

John Ruth

The above post is very on target. Buying the book, instead of immediately looking for a free copy, something similar on YouBoob, or posting and expectly someone to spoon feed answers to you endless questions.

Sadly the logic in the above post is almost totally lost by the tick turds over on HSM.

I have already contacted all the book stores I can find that still have Lindsay Publication books and no-one has seen a copy of this. Old Time Bookstore helpfully put a message out on their facebook page for me but there doesn't look like there is a way of actually purchasing this book hence my message. I should've made it clearer that I would gratefully pay double the price to get my hands on one but it looks like a dead end. Unless anyone has contact details for anyone who used to run Lindsay Pub?

When Lindsay Publications closed up due to retirement, the remaining books went to "Your Old Time Bookstore"

https://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/

They list only Volumes 1, 5, and 6 of Lathe Notes on their website.

It's possible that they might have a copy of Volume 2 laying about; it would not hurt to inquire.

This thread is an example of the necessity of BUYING the books that you like.
A) If no one BUYS the kind of books which you like, then no one will publish them.
B) Special-interest books go "out-of-print" in a remarkably short period of time and then the price for a used copy starts to climb.

You can talk about all the books that are available on-line, but there is nothing like having the physical book in your hand. It can be accessed either sequentially or randomly with equal ease. Recent studies show much better retention of information from printed copies as compared to seeing the same book electronically.

The link given by Weeble is very interesting because it iffers many UK-published books that we Yanks haven't seen:

John Ruth

We get it. Unlike others, you don't expect it for free.

I stand by my suggestion. ME clubs in the UK. Must be a number of them in whatever part of the UK your are in. I'd start there. Likely a member that has Vol. 2 in their library. Or post a wanted ad in one of the ME magazines or on some of UK based BBS: http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/ Must be others...

Back