What's new
What's new

lathe software

PHDesigns

Hot Rolled
Looking for software to program a lathe. Cincinati something-or-other (I'll find out). Not sure if it has conversational or not, but would like to program on the computer.
Thanks.
Paul in OKC

I use Mastercam on a Haas and Daewoo. Flawless.
I also write code for a guy down the street that has a Hawk 150 Cinci with an A2100

we use solidworks to program our cinnci's. if you have the a2100 control, you could just use the RAP(residential assistant programer)and program straight on the machine.

it does if you have camworks installed with it
dont be a butthead.

Do you guys speak and understand the English language?

Mfassler states: "we use solidworks to program our cinnci's."

SolidWorks is a CAD package.

SolidWorks is NOT CamWorks and it doesn't create ANY toolpaths.

CamWorks is a CAM package.
While it runs inside of SolidWorks it IS available to run outside of SolidWorks and got it's start outside of SW.

If you don't know what the difference is and can't clearly state what software you are actually using to create toolpaths then you have no business giving advice to ANYONE about what software to use.

BTW-

I use CamWorks every day and the lathe portion is absolutely terrible!

[ 08-14-2007, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: SAIPEM ]

PHDesigns,

I use Esprit and SmartCAM. I think that SmartCAM is easier to learn, has better reporting capabilities out of the box and that fact that your geometry IS your tool path makes it a lot easier to manipulate the model to get the code you want. The importance of this can’t be understated when you are just trying to get good code out.

Esprit has a lot more upside such as when you have to edit a model that has significant change, you need to do turn/milling, and post editing. It also has better macro support (although SmartCAM has very strong macro support.)

But I would have to give the nod to SmartCAM especially if I had a small shop and needed software for just turning and I need to get from the print to the machine as quickly as possible with a job I may never see again.

Good luck,

Daryl

Though I use a high end CAM software on my mill, I prefer to type g-code on my old Mori/Fanuc lathe. My older lathe does not have much room for program storage so using more powerful canned cycles like G75 and G90 makes a lot of sense.

I do not like typing on the lathe! So I use NCPLOT on my Windows PC. It has a nice editor and it plots the g-code as I type it in. It also understands the canned cycles!

Cheers
Dave

Back