What's new
What's new

Lathe turret won't stay clamped

LOTT

Stainless
New to us 2009 Samsung SL20SY lathe with Fanuc 18i-TB control. Got it recently and just started using it this week. Today the turret will index around to the correct tool, clamp for a half second, then release. At that point the turret is free to turn, and it throws a "No. 2064, AL-64 Turret Index Time Over".

I can (and have, multiple times) go through the reset procedure, freeing and resetting the turret to T0101 then relocking. During that when you press the "Call/BZ" button it locks the turret no problem, good and solid. That makes me think it isn't the solenoid. The servo drives the turret to about the right spot, near as I can tell. It just won't stay clamped.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

On a side note, these Samsung's seem almost identical to Hyundai Kia's of the same period so if someone know's of a similar problem with them I'm all ears.

Thanks.

In your procedure are your resetting parameter 1815#4 for the turret?

Hyundai-Kia has you "Call BZ Off" then turn a Keep Relay off then hit three buttons at the same time to finish the procedure (Feed Hold, Spindle Stop, and I can't remember)

Brandon

In your procedure are your resetting parameter 1815#4 for the turret?

Hyundai-Kia has you "Call BZ Off" then turn a Keep Relay off then hit three buttons at the same time to finish the procedure (Feed Hold, Spindle Stop, and I can't remember)

Brandon
Brandon,

It's not 1815, this procedure sets the last bit of K05 to 1, and then the three button push (Feed Hold, Spindle Stop, and Select). And uses the "Call BZ Off" to lock it. Very similar but not quite the same. I had to go through that when we first powered it up so I think the procedure itself is good.

I'm wondering if there's a sensor that is looking for the turret to move to the clamp position, but the speed that it clamps and then releases doesn't make sense. It doesn't time out and throw an alarm for ten seconds or so.

That quick Lock/Release makes me think solenoid, but when you run the reset it locks great.

From error, i think turret lock verification switch is sticky, and does not give lock signal to PLC, so if something is stuck in turret it can be fixed turret becomes unclamped again

From error, i think turret lock verification switch is sticky, and does not give lock signal to PLC, so if something is stuck in turret it can be fixed turret becomes unclamped again
Hmm, and maybe the logic skips over that during the manual reset. I'll look into that in the morning, hopefully it can be checked without pulling off the turret...

I checked this morning and the turret clamp prox sensor is showing green, and the "Turret Clamp" light is on so I'm taking that as proof the signal is getting though.

But today it won't even try to index, there's a pause and then "NO. 2066, AL-66 TURRET INDEX COND. NG" comes up. It never even unclamps.

Ran through turret reset process, solenoids and sensors all seem to function. Turret amp is showing all green, no alarms.

Any other ideas?

Do you know if the machine is using a beta drive for the turret servo motor? There could be a PMM parameter that needs flipped. Kia uses them

Does this machine have live tooling? It could be something with the live tool drive is not quite right. Hyundai-kia uses a prox switch to confirm the drive is oriented correctly. It can physically look aligned but not have the prox on.

Do you know if the machine is using a beta drive for the turret servo motor? There could be a PMM parameter that needs flipped. Kia uses them
No, but is that something that could happen overnight? I could see it happening with a low battery, but I can't figure out why the behavior changed.

Does this machine have live tooling? It could be something with the live tool drive is not quite right. Hyundai-kia uses a prox switch to confirm the drive is oriented correctly. It can physically look aligned but not have the prox on.
Yes on live tooling, and the prox sensor is on, though I have not confirmed that the signal is getting through.

This problem hits wildly close to home. We have a Daewoo Puma with the Fanuc 18i that gave us indexing problems for years. Finally got a good tech out to look at it, and it turned out to be the I/O module (which I had suspected TWO YEARS PRIOR). Doesn't help your situation, but it looks like you are on the right path and don't be afraid to pull the multimeter out and check the parts in the electrical cabinet.

Well, this is unfortunate. Pulled off the number plate and there was hydraulic fluid coming out of the coolant passage. Ordering all new seals now...

Back