What's new
What's new

Leinen apron rare oil leakage: any hint?

sBs

Plastic
Hi,

I'm almost finished the restoration of a Boley-Leinen LZ4SB . I have a rather uncommon oil leakage and I wonder if anybody can give me a hint about it.

The following pictures illustrate the leakage:
P1050002.jpg P1050003.jpg

As you can see, the oil is emptying the carter by the handknob and its shaft. The handknob fit is tight as new. However the suprising fact is that the oil level in the appron is far lower that the bottom of the knob shaft. Thus it seems that the oil is going out by a kind of combined capillary and siphoning phenomenon. I'm pretty sure that the lathe was not designed to have this leakage ;) .
Actually, the oil used in this housing is Fuchs RENOLIN MR20.

Does anybody have some hints about how to solve the leakage? Can it be due to the oil characteristics?

sBs

Plastic
Thank you jkruger. I'm not absolutely sure but I thinh that there is no kind of seal. Below there is another picture of the open casing that shows the knob and its shaft from the bottom:

P1040707.jpg

jpevner

Stainless
Hi;

Sorry I can't help you with the leak, but I would like to see more pictures.
For some reason, I can't follow your link.

regards,

Jon P.

sBs

Plastic
Thank you SAG 180, to add an o-ring is a possibility. However it would require to mechanize the handle. The fit between the handle anf the apron is less than 0,05mm ..