What's new
What's new

Lift using two chain hoists

IDK why either of you would have ass_u_med that?

From what I read - it seemed like he wanted to pick from one point, otherwise I wouldn't have expected him to have asked the question in the first place.

----------------------

The old "Blame it on the guy before me" trick eh?
Ox
I read it differently, as using a spreader bar to spread the chains so they would not pinch the load between the two sides. So what I was thinking is he wanted to be sure the chains did not damage his sheet metal or? So why not eliminate the spreader and just go straight up from either end?
A spreader bar is the correct term for a bar to spread the load chains, it has no provision for lifting from the center. The proper term for what the OP is wanting to use is a LIFTING bar, he will use it inverted so in essence he is using an inverted lifting bar with 2 hoists and one load point below it. Nothing I read in the first post let us know what he was really trying to do. I thought he might have posted somewhere else about "new machine day" that John may have seen and was referring to.
Link showing spreader and lifting bars:

Read again.

He said that the machine weighed(slightly) more than his biggest hoist was rated for, that's why two lifts - to share the load.

Yes, inverting the bar. (whatever name you want to call it)

IDK if there was a New Machine Day post yet or not either.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Read again.

He said that the machine weighed(slightly) more than his biggest hoist was rated for, that's why two lifts - to share the load.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Yes, about the same weight as my biggest lathe, if I did not have one hoist large enough to lift it I also would use two to lift it.
In this case you were the better mind reader to guess what he actually meant in the first post.

P.S. it snowed here for like the first time since the '80's, a whopping big 1" or so.

Reactions: Ox
Go shopping on cl or fb chain hoists show up often and are cheap, just buy a 3 ton...Phil
I have a 3 ton (6300 lbs). The mill catalogue weight is 6700 which is greater than rated. sure by only a few hundred lbs but exceeds the rating just the same. i also have a two ton hoist and trolleyso no need to buy those. mounting the second trolley on the beam is something i've been wanting to do anyway.

Spreader bar no matter how short. Without it the two trollies WILL crowd together and they may not like each other. Maybe wheels touch and the darn thing will not move.

I like the lever hoists ,preferred to chain hoists for their handiness ........even the old Yale hoists with a roller chain are handy and they generally sell for a few dollars because people hate it when the chain kinks up and jams their fingers.....Ive lowered the boom of a big crane with a series of Yale hoists.

The power of positive farting?
One of my 20,000 pound mills was lifted off the skates with a high pressure Nitrogen bag thingy. Umm, not so sure about hooking up Brat gas emissions to that bag. For sure it will not be an Industrial interchange air fitting.

It's a milwaukee 2K mill. The "Spreader" i would use would be very short, maybe 2 ft long just enough to make sure the hoists are sharing the load. I would attach a bubble level to the spreader. I would have one person on each chain hoist. I move a a glacial pace. Something about an old Bull...
Do you already have the spreader?

If not, it would probably cheaper just to get a 5-ton chain hoist and call it day. It's not just the capacity, but the higher gear ratio too.

Last I checked, a 5-ton spreader is $1-2K, whereas 5-ton manual chain hoist is less than 1/4 that.

If you look at how all the lifting gear is rated / designed / certified, your 3 ton hoist will have the capacity. Certification testing is done at 125% or 150% or more of the working rating.

When it came time to do my load test on my home made bridge crane at home, the 1 ton overhead crane and 1 ton (load limited!) chain hoist didn't bat an eye at the 3300 load. Likewise, proof testing 2 ton gantry crane with electric hoist at work last year. 5500 lb load and neither the hoist or the crane complained.

I'd be more concerned about buckling your lifting structure. But you must have the capacity there, otherwise you couldn't just hang another hoist on it like you are doing.

Beam is W8x30 H Beam 16' up. Columns are laminated 6x6s (glued and lag bolted 2x 6s). Span is about 12', visible top of post is about 12' up. There's a 14" glue-lamb beam on top of each column and another short post in the wall under the beam ends.

Attachments

• IMAG1199.jpg
    IMAG1199.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34

Back