What's new
What's new

Lift using two chain hoists

Beam is W8x30 H Beam 16' up. Columns are laminated 6x6s (glued and lag bolted 2x 6s). Span is about 12', visible top of post is about 12' up. There's a 14" glue-lamb beam on top of each column and another short post in the wall under the beam ends.
That’s a really nice shop. How come I never got to work somewhere like that ? I wouldn’t want to dirty it with oily old machine tools. Hire it out as a rehearsal room for string quartets.

Regards Tyrone.

That’s a really nice shop. How come I never got to work somewhere like that ? I wouldn’t want to dirty it with oily old machine tools. Hire it out as a rehearsal room for string quartets.

Regards Tyrone.
thanks. here in the frozen north coast of nowhere, we need something to do over the long winters.

More craigslist finds
There is a six ton aluminum hoist near me for 600.
Search tip :"chain hoist" and "chainhoist" are two different search terms. Also try chain fall or chainfall.
I keep waiting for someone to ask if he can just run them in series to up the load. Works for resisters
Bill D.

Last edited:
Hire these Amish barn movers to unload.
Bill D.

By the time you have THAT many folks involved, and the Quirpractor bill for 1/2 of them after the fact, it seems like this may not be the cheapest way possible?

Pick it up and set it on several hay wagons and pull with 12 horses might git'chew where you wunna go?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

When my great grandfather moved heavy wooden church alters in Chicago, they tried to do it early Sunday morning before traffic. I assume horse drawn not steam tractor. They would break man hole covers a lot of the times. So they aimed to miss. Only had to pay if they got caught breaking one. I do not think they had driving licenses or load permits back then. He retired by 1880 or so.
Bill D

Your "GGF" retired in 1880?
Is there enough G's in there for that to pencil out?
Mine weren't even born yet! :scratchchin:
(one as early as 1882)

You must be the oops child of the oops child of his oops child?

(coming from a long line of oldest or nearly oldest kids)

How big is this alter?
Must be a Catholic thing? (size)
How would one remove it from one building and install it in another?
Is this done during demo of one and construction of the other?
Just how often was this done?

Manhole covers likely weren't all that heavy in the civil war era?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
By the time you have THAT many folks involved, and the Quirpractor bill for 1/2 of them after the fact, it seems like this may not be the cheapest way possible?
Never underestimate what these guys can do with enough crew and no machines.
Seen stuff overseas that was mind blowing. No electricity big, big press. 100+ people on a rope and it worked.
Bob

Well I'm not doubting it in any way!
But their time aint free, and many of them came a long way.
That's a LOT of feet!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Actually, I wouldn't think that lift to be THAT heavy.
It looks like they had plenty of feet for the job.
But you can see that some were working a lot harder at it that others...

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'd say you're off by a factor of at least 3x and not counting a 4hr min.

John doesn't seem to think so:

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Your "GGF" retired in 1880?
Is there enough G's in there for that to pencil out?
Mine weren't even born yet! :scratchchin:
(one as early as 1882)

He and his brothers were carpenters in Chicagoland. They built several wooden church alters and I guess other interior woodwork in the shop. Then hauled it on wagons to the church and installed. Unfortunately we have no idea what churches. This was from recollections of his second wife to my father.
Yes he served in the civil war. Got citizenship early with his discharge

Reactions: Ox
GGF Retired based on this patent from 1875.
Family story is part "H" is the patent. H is the dark piece on the left side. It is just a piece of scrap wood to support the wood being cut so it does not tear out so much. Probably used in many machines just not patented yet. And this piece is screwed down so it does not move.
Bill D

Attachments

• cutter.jpeg
    cutter.jpeg
    14.7 KB · Views: 10
  • peter dufour.jpeg
    peter dufour.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
John doesn't seem to think so:

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I was talking about the idea of getting a crane for $100/hr.

Back