What's new
What's new

Light cut in ductile cast iron

Strostkovy

Titanium
I'd like to get some castings made for some hydraulic presses I would like to build and sell. I am choosing ASTM A536 60/40/18 or 65/45/12. One of the pieces is 5" thick and needs an open slot cleaned up to 2" wide within around 0.02". The slot is 4" in length.

Since this limits the cutter diameter a bit and the length is quite tall, I suspect this part will have to be done with light passes to avoid excessive tool deflection. Are light passes okay with ductile castings, or is it necessary to take a hard cut? I have not been able to get a good answer from google.

I will be subbing out most of the machining work on these castings. They are too large for any machine in my price range.

find the ends of the slots, and then drill it is most likely the best way then light passes to clean up the middle parts. 4" isnt too bad at all, there are tool holders that will work that long. Hardest part is getting the chips out of it.

find the ends of the slots, and then drill it is most likely the best way then light passes to clean up the middle parts. 4" isnt too bad at all, there are tool holders that will work that long. Hardest part is getting the chips out of it.
The slot will likely be cast into the part, and is open at one end like a fork, so chip evacuation shouldn't be a major issue.

Back