What's new
What's new

Lincoln DC welder and VFD.

SOHC

Plastic
Hello I am looking at getting an Australian made Lincoln bullet DC welder, its the vertical one, I understand they have an ac motor that can do 240v and 400v that runs the DC welding generator. I dont have 3 phase as it dosnt dun down our road,

Would this work on a 11kw 400v vfd? I understand a normal 3 phase transformer welder wont.

don't waste your time and money on an ancient torpedo unit. it will have so many potential problems, such as bearings, brushes, wiring connections, adjustment screws and sliding saturators and contacts that, unless you are dedicated to tilting at windmills, and spending completely unnecessary days, dollars, and weeks on it, its just pointless.
if you have unlimited time, and don't mind a bulky 600 lb object that has the same output as a 60 lb modern inverter welder, go for it, its not like I haven't wasted any time or effort on ancient junk, lol!

(and yes I know how nice the arc is on them, but its still just not worth it, by FAR! take my word for it.)

I collect vintage tools and mechanics, I couldn't give a rats ass if its not as good as a modern welder

They 3 phase motor is going to have a much lower per phase draw than a transformer that works on one phase.....Ive had a lot of Lincoln Bullets ,and Imagine you have a 250MK...personally ,I like the DC 300 horizontal ,they run slower,and make much less noise..........Incidentally,in this climate,check carefully for mud wasp nests down inside the windings...they love the gap down under the brushes,and Ive seen bullets choked with wasp nests mud and sand.

They 3 phase motor is going to have a much lower per phase draw than a transformer that works on one phase.....Ive had a lot of Lincoln Bullets ,and Imagine you have a 250MK...personally ,I like the DC 300 horizontal ,they run slower,and make much less noise..........Incidentally,in this climate,check carefully for mud wasp nests down inside the windings...they love the gap down under the brushes,and Ive seen bullets choked with wasp nests mud and sand.
I am in Newzealand, I have never seen a horozontal one but have seen photos, we have a kind of mud wasp but nothing to those dirt dobber things you have,

Ive still got a horizontal 400SAM,have scrapped the bigger ones such as SA750 and SA 800s....i gave my brother a SA150 of WW2 vintage ,had a loose top bearing,which I hadnt worried about ,anyhoo ,a bit of green loctite ,and good as new......I spotted it on a roadside cleanup,asked the guy in the house ,it was his fathers,and he also gave me a big 36" shifter ,and a smaller 26" Dowidat shifter.....the scrappies would have got the lot ,if I hadnt gone by.

Back