What's new
What's new

Loading heavy iron in lathe

Ray Behner

Diamond
I've got an overhead hoist on rails with an electric chain hoist attached. Tough to regulate the stopping of it, so I made this little cylinder with a needle valve to slowly let the piece down to the chuck and steady without a bang. Also nice for aligning the chuck to the spindle.

Ray
hoist.jpg

thats neat Ray.One of our presses has a Demag electric hoist single phase with a vfd drive.The pendant control allows you to move so slow it dosn't appear to move or rapid.I often thought how neat it would be to have it to load our lathes.I'll steal your idea so I can stop lusting after the Demag,which is probably a 3-4k$ hoist. Randy

Check out the brake on the chuck, motorcycle?

Actually it's from an ATV, but same difference. It's air powered to position the workpiece at different degrees for: cross drilling, spanner wrench holes and wrench flats on hyd. barstock. Oh yeah, I have a milling machine that mounts to the cross slide to do that work.

Ray

I have the same problem, more with changing chucks. They always stop too high or too low. Something similar would be just what I need. I'll get on it.

Bill

Actually it's from an ATV, but same difference. It's air powered to position the workpiece at different degrees for: cross drilling, spanner wrench holes and wrench flats on hyd. barstock. Oh yeah, I have a milling machine that mounts to the cross slide to do that work.

Ray

I was wondering what that was. Another great idea!

Jeff

Yeah - I'll give you another "attaboy". :D

I like to see folks who will build what they need - rather than just doo what is commercially available and normal. I mean _ come - on, we are the people that MAKE the stuff in the first place! To not come up with our own fixes is jist crazy! :crazy:

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Bill D. Because of piston rod displacement a double acting cylinder would probably not work so hot.I wonder if Ray used a retracting spring in the cylinder? Randy

Bill D. Because of piston rod displacement a double acting cylinder would probably not work so hot.I wonder if Ray used a retracting spring in the cylinder? Randy

They do make double ended cyls... I have used them in a closed loop before. Problem is finding one that small, I guess you could just cut it down.

I'm making a 4.5'' hyd. piston rod. Running the chrome on the steady this time 'cause it gets turned down for a 3.5'' 12 thd. anyway. The hoist cyl. is just one way. Easy enough to retract by hand. I didn't want a spring inside to take up more room, thus keeping things close.
Moonlight's right. Cylinders like this are easy to make.
The degree wheel came from Summit Racing. I sandwiched it between the disc and chuck. The disc is an old metal slitting blade with the teeth cut off.

Back