What's new
What's new

Lodge and Shipley model X follow rest

Andy221

Cast Iron
Any interest in a cast follow rest? Either finished or a "blank". This would be for just about any size swing.

Let me know your thoughts.

Any interest in a cast follow rest? Either finished or a "blank". This would be for just about any size swing.

Let me know your thoughts.

Someone was importing 'generic' steady rests one could adapt with baseplate foo.

'Cast' follow rest is waaaay tougher. Seldom anything generic about them due to mounting on the saddle.

If one has to fab, I'd say weldment and some machining foo.

Even cast topsides would benefit from anything BUT cast 'attach system'.

Bill

I have a original Model X follower rest for my 20" lathe. It's made in two pieces, an upper section that has the two point adjustable jaws, and the lower section that fits to the cross slide ways. This piece is unique to each size lathe built. The follower rest I bought was for a 18" lathe. To get it to work with my lathe, I have to put a 1" spacer in the assembly to get the centerline of the follower rest to line up with axis of the lathe. I have no clue if this same FR will work with all sizes of Model X lathes. I know it will work on all standard duty lathes in the 16" - 20" range. Not sure about 14" lathe. Ken

Having made a good few fixed and traveling steadies (steady rest and follow rest) over the years I can honestly say the best results have been with burnouts from thick steel plate.

E.G. Don't skimp- I used 1'' plate when I made a 5'' dia capacity fixed steady for my 10'' SB clone which FYI is a ''working money making'' machine and not a home shop ''toy''

Photos, Please !

This is developing into a great idea thread. OP Andy 221 should take the information from 4GSR and Limy Sami and "run with it"

4GSR, please post photos of the follower rest you've got.

The concept so far: A cast upper works copied from the L&S original combined with interchangeable bases of heavy plate (Thanks, Limy Samy) to fit just about ANY lathe from any maker within a reasonable range of swings.

This is a good example of a brainstorming thread.

John R.

Last edited:
Having made a good few fixed and traveling steadies (steady rest and follow rest) over the years I can honestly say the best results have been with burnouts from thick steel plate.

E.G. Don't skimp- I used 1'' plate when I made a 5'' dia capacity fixed steady for my 10'' SB clone which FYI is a ''working money making'' machine and not a home shop ''toy''

I'd suggest that thickness depends on how easily one can get attach points in more than one place. Quattha hinch should be enough. Most castings are no more than that. Some appear to be less.

The OEM one for my 10EE was proven (in another PM thread) to be but one of SEVERAL 'OEM' Follow-rests. My one attaches to HS side of the saddle, AND the HS-ward 'wing'. It has but a single sliding vee for support. Some others attach to both sides of the saddle bridge. Several have waaay more suport infrastructure.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...monarch-10ees-224797-post1566817/#post1566817

There are some very different approaches shown there. That may prove to be the case with the L&S 'tribe' as well..

Not all would fit the same 'planned universal' base. Not YET, anyway - presuming design not being set in stone.. YET, either:

I thot 'I got mine!'.

Until I saw the advantages of several of the others I do not have...

:(

Bill

Here's a couple of pictures of the L & S follower rest I have here. Give me a chance and I'll take some more pictures and post. Ken

Attachments

• DSCN0463.jpg
    DSCN0463.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN0464.jpg
    DSCN0464.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN2756.jpg
    DSCN2756.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN2758.jpg
    DSCN2758.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 265
So here's what I have. Im guessing it (follow rest) came from a powerturn with a 20" swing. The base is wider than the 20" model X ways(~22" actual swing) I tried it on.

Like others I was thinking of getting just the top of the follow rest cast and the base could be made to fit your Lathe. The company I talked to gave me a rough estimate of $60 for the cast and I'd add a few bucks for my time. As I wrote this I was thinking that maybe the base could be cast bigger than what is needed. Because a 7"x3"x5" is kinda expensive to buy and ship so I was thinking in some cases it might be better alternative.

Alright I guess I erased the pictures of the follow rest, but here's a beginning pic of the base. I'll also get more pics up, possibly tonight.

equjoz.jpg

1zyeidj.jpg

2exy0lv.jpg

Last edited:
I am currently searching for a steady and follow rest for my 1955 lodge & Shipley model X 20" standard. Serial 42877. Can anyone tell me what the exact centre hight and the centre distance from the V is.

Hello Andy,

I have a 14 inch Model X. I am interested in getting a follow rest if you are still into this project.

Allen

Back