What's new
What's new

Long Lathe

The logistics of moving something like that in this day and age without damage gives me the major willies. I think a practical alternative would be to cutoff some of that excess into something more manageable. You would really have to have a major need to deal with that.

The logistics of moving something like that in this day and age without damage gives me the major willies. I think a practical alternative would be to cutoff some of that excess into something more manageable. You would really have to have a major need to deal with that.
I'm guessing the cost of moving it might approach the cost of buying it!

I wonder if it's sectional? I mean how on earth would you move it otherwise. Especially without twisting the piss out of the ways...

And if it is...how the hell long does it take to level the damn thing lol.

People who need em, need em. And new prices are just a bit higher than thirty five grand. A new Chinese one is easily double or triple the price of this one, a Monarch quality one, assuming anyone still makes one, is gonna probalby run you a quarter million.
Rigging and wiring are part of the cost of doing business. I have a friend who does electrical hookups for Boeing, he gets paid more than that per circuit sometimes- the ceiling height in the everett plant is 90', and he has sometimes had to run hundreds of feet of conduit up there.

I wonder if it's sectional? I mean how on earth would you move it otherwise. Especially without twisting the piss out of the ways...

And if it is...how the hell long does it take to level the damn thing lol.
I know someone who previously owned a lathe that was 120' between centres, it was in several bed sections.
Swung 14'6"

Just saw this video yesterday about moving a 30' long lathe. Looked pretty easy, but I guess thats how it should look if you've got guys who know what they are doing. The bed was in two sections, and they used a big ass forklift.

At least it's an honest price for that lathe. Otherwise someone's going to buy it for $10 and ask us how to move it down an elevator shaft.

Where's Limy? I'm sure he has experience moving and leveling lathes longer than this one.

Moving big iron is a matter of brute force applied intelligently. Biggest move I’ve made so far is a planer whose base is about 28’ long. Some dismantling, two hydraulic bottle jacks, rollers, blocks, a big forklift, a crane, and a wheel loader to make it all happen. EA16A9C1-9F6F-4482-917A-16490EB5E7B1.jpeg

Moving big iron is a matter of brute force applied intelligently. Biggest move I’ve made so far is a planer whose base is about 28’ long. Some dismantling, two hydraulic bottle jacks, rollers, blocks, a big forklift, a crane, and a wheel loader to make it all happen. View attachment 443864
Is the green thing in the background the drive motor? Christ, it looks like a 45 gallon drum laying on its side.

Is the green thing in the background the drive motor? Christ, it looks like a 45 gallon drum laying on its side.
That is the AC portion of the generator that converts 3 phase to DC. The platen drive motor sat about where you see a pile of chips on the floor in front of the AC/DC converter. You can see a light patch on concrete where the base plate was. The main drive motor is 25 hp and no smaller than the converter that you see. The output shaft of the main drive motor is 3” dia.

The trucker that hauled this for me took it across a scale and said the unofficial net weight of the whole works was right around 39,000 lbs.

Back