What's new
What's new

Looking for 7/8" - 4 acme threaded rod

bloomautomatic

Cast Iron
I want to repair and old Ridge Tool vise. the lead screw is 7/8" diameter, 4 threads per inch, looks like Acme thread. I can't find that size and thread count as a standard acme size anywhere.

Am I out of luck on this? I suppose I could size it for one that is available and change the nut, but i'd rather not.

I need about 1' of it.

thanks

There is a place up around Wisconsin that makes and stocks odd acme rod . Can’t recall name . Think it started with green

7/8-4, albeit LH, is the crossfeed screw pitch on my Monarch. I had 0 luck in finding 7/8-4 stock, LH or RH, in pursuit of a new lead screw, nut as well. I ended up cutting my own from 1144sp.

Beware the helix angle, IIRC, I used something like 15deg relief on the leading edge.

Programmed via Mazatrol

Its Green Bay Manufacturing. In Green Bay's line get 4 pitch you have to go to 1" diameter.

I've bought replacement threaded rod for cross slide lead screws from them before. Great service and product.

I want to repair and old Ridge Tool vise. the lead screw is 7/8" diameter, 4 threads per inch, looks like Acme thread. I can't find that size and thread count as a standard acme size anywhere.

Am I out of luck on this? I suppose I could size it for one that is available and change the nut, but i'd rather not.

I need about 1' of it.

thanks
What ever happened to this? I need the same thread but I need the nut. I have the 7/8-4 lead screw.

Is there a reason NOT to use acme thread in a vise?
While I'm no expert, I wouldn't say its for any reason other than the square thread would take the horrizontal linear load the vise puts on it from tightening alot better. A more meat is better approach id assume.

Back