What's new
What's new

lOOKING FOR A DEBURRING TOOL FOR .281 HOLES IN

Mr. Atoz

Aluminum
I am looking for a tool that will deburr the inside of a .281 hole in material that is 1" o.d. X .875 i.d. (round) It will be done on a lathe with live tooling. The material is 12L14 and we will be making them in small batches, probably 30 to 50 in a batch.

L Vanice

Diamond
I think I may have a couple of similar tools and certainly have seen them, so I knew what to ask Google. I never needed one for the production turret lathe work I have done. My normal solution for low volume use, should I need a rear deburring operation, would be to use a suitable size round bur in a hand held micromotor.

Larry

spinninquin

Plastic
Though I don't have any experience with these tools on a lathe, we use these for a lot of our automated/lights-out systems in our VMC's. They do have to be adjusted, but we've really liked them.

Mr. Atoz

Aluminum
I guess you can say the holes are elliptical because of the shape of the workpiece. Wouldn't the cutters be moving in and out as they trace the ellipse? Makes my head hurt.

Nagol

Aluminum
Those tools will get the job done pretty well on regular thru holes. There is an adjusting screw for tension to get them to cut right for your application. The cutting edge is also changable.
Here is another option though. It creates a radiused edge on the intersection. Program with helical interpolation moving inside to out for your application.

guythatbrews

Stainless
Heule cofa tools are the absolute tits for this. Better thsn cogsdill, faster than jw done. Carbide blades and sizes down to like 2mm dia and 3 different spring tensions for different materials. You will pay for them but the have a positive cam action unlike cogsdill which is strictly spring tension, and not carbide.

Works great from brass to 316 ss.

Nerdlinger

Stainless
I use a 3/16” cogsdill…the one with the little blade that sticks out and you turn a set screw in the back to set the tension in the blade. I use it to debur a 3/16” cross-drilled hole in 1-1/4” OD X 7/8” ID 1026 tubing…so an elliptical hole like you were saying. It works great for me! Good luck!

CAMasochism

Stainless
+1 for the Cogsdill, there's also EZBurr which is owned by Cogsdill. They're nice for simple holes, however they can suffer when the hole diameter is too close to the diameter of the ID of the part.

Tried the Orbitool before and it took 2-3 passes to get it to remove the burr in 4140 and it broke after 4 parts.

Been wanting to try the Heule tool for the weakness I mentioned in the EZBurr system. It's just been an issue to get it looked at since they make them to your application and can't just get them off the shelf even if it's for standard sizes.

guythatbrews

Stainless
Been wanting to try the Heule tool for the weakness I mentioned in the EZBurr system. It's just been an issue to get it looked at since they make them to your application and can't just get them off the shelf even if it's for standard sizes.
Try the Heule Cofa. It's off the shelf and it's the one made for holes in tubing, not holes in flat. Never had to wait for one.

I've use the cogsdill also and find the cofa tool to more reliably remove the burr. It's also carbide and it's also way more expensive. In the tiny sizes you really need the blade changing fixture also $$$. But they work great.

CAMasochism

Stainless
I have looked at those, however their website and a rep I've talked to say that they aren't for deburring same size intersecting holes.

guythatbrews

Stainless
I have looked at those, however their website and a rep I've talked to say that they aren't for deburring same size intersecting holes.
If you mean cofa, your ID is .875 and I was assuming the .281 was a cross hole. This is a very good ratio for cofa tools.

The problem I see is initial cost for 50 piece batch. In 12L14 12L14 a cogsdill tool will work like a champ for much less money.

guythatbrews

Stainless
I can't imagine these work that good but who knows .... if they did even halfass it might be useful. If someone wants to be a guinea pig I can buy a few and mail them

I tried a similar deal must have been 15 years ago. A shank with thin flexible abrasive filled fiberglass or something fingers. Don't remember who made it. Spin it like hell and the fingers fling out. We were at the bottom end of required RPM. For our application it didn't work. I am skeptical it would work on anything with tough burrs.

EmGo

Diamond
I am skeptical it would work

Me too ... but who knows, maybe they found a miracle abrasive that cuts steel like butter. Embedded borazon ? Anyway, they advertise that they developed them for cross-drilled holes in crankshafts so I figger if someone wants to give it a whirl (heh heh), we can make a phone call and a visit to the post office, not a big deal.