What's new
What's new

Looking for a manual lathe, about 15", that has carriage auto stop.

c1steve

Plastic
A Clausing-Colchester 15" would be excellent, and I would consider rebuilding one as needed.
A new lathe is a possibility, and I have flexibility as to the budget.

Standard-Modem lathe would work, but only the 18" and up models have automatic carriage stop.
What else is out there? Would much prefer to buy a USA or Canada lathe. No Chinese junk, but good quality European or Taiwanese would work.

Last edited:
Rebublic Lagun gear head lathes have carriage stops. We have a 1440 that has a clutch type of "stop". It really slips more than stops. The 1740 that I run has an actual disengagement stop for the carriage. It has a pretty slick system that you can set to 3 different stop locations that you set and then can select. They also make a 1550 Colchester clone that is a fine machine, but I am not sure if they have a stop. I have no affiliation with Lagun, but we have several of their machines and are all excellent lathes.

If you’re talking about a carriage feed kick-out, I can think of several, but if you’re thinking about lead screw kick-out or reverse, that’s a more select group.

Two of the modern machines that I have used that have carriage feed kick-out are the Summit B-models and Toolmex Famont. Both are European. Both have spring loaded, adjustable clutches. What’s neat about these machines is that there is no set up time or adjustment necessary. You simply traverse the carriage or cross-slide with the DRO, set a stop and they will kick out automatically in either direction. The Toolmex even has a rotary six-point stop.

The WEBB/Whacheon/Mori 17” lathes have automatic feed kick outs. A bit aggravating to set accurately but it does work.

Yes, I am talking about carriage feed kick-out. Looking through the Summit website, I do not see a carriage auto-stop feature on the 18" or smaller lathes. Am I missing something, or is it only on larger or older models?

Last edited:
How is the overall quality of Summit B models, and Famot lathe? And yes, I am talking about carriage feed kick-out.

Either I am going to buy new, or overhaul a quality unit, probably Clausing-Colchester.
I think the quality of my 1440B is excellent. As 14x40's go, it's heavy, rigid, and accurate. More mass than most Asian 16x40's. The carriage kick out works perfectly, and the joystick control and rapids are very nice features. Also cuts about any thread pitch you can think of. The 2-1/4" spindle bore is a plus, as well.

The one on the 1550 Clausing Colchester I used was more of a ratchet clutch than a kickout. Our machinery repair guy also mentioned making a lot of money from people who trusted it. We never had problems, but didn’t use that feature much. I do remember the 600 Group repair parts prices being eye watering compared the anything else we had to fix.

I am on the west coast, but shipping is not an issue. I do not see the carriage kick out feature on their website. Searching online, it appears that their current 1440 is made in China.

Good to know more about the Clausing-Colchester. I have repeatedly heard that repair parts prices are extremely high.

Last edited:
Good to know more about the Clausing-Colchester. I have repeatedly heard that repair parts prices are extremely high.
As one example we decided we wanted a carriage stop that clamps to the ways. There were close enough ones at $300, but we decided to go with the OEM one. It was $1200, looked like the machinist forgot to do the finish pass, had a rough micrometer dial, and screws too short to mount and remove it without disassembly.

There’s a guy who sells used parts at almost as astronomical prices. I talked to him about a clutch set and it sounded like he was taking the old parts as a core, deeming them still ok, and then selling them on to the next person to repeat the process. He also tried to sell me a scan of the “unavailable” manual that was available free right from 600.

A Clausing-Colchester 15" would be excellent, and I would consider rebuilding one as needed.
A new lathe is a possibility, and I have flexibility as to the budget.

Standard-Modem lathe would work, but only the 18" and up models have automatic carriage stop.
What else is out there? Would much prefer to buy a USA or Canada lathe. No Chinese junk, but good quality European or Taiwanese would work.
I found the original brochure for the Toolmex and am posting pictures of the brochure and one of my machine. The quality of this machine is about the same their bison chucks which I regard as very good. One of the things that is unusual about this machine is that the headstock is scraped to the ways for alignment. I’m not aware of many 2004 machines that this is true of. A small thing that makes a big difference. I’m very pleased with it so far.

Mine is the D2 variant. I don’t know how many they actually made. Although I know they don’t make them anymore, I have seen a few for sale over the years in California.

IMG_0542.jpg IMG_0536.jpg IMG_0537.jpg IMG_0538.jpg IMG_0540.jpg IMG_0541.jpg IMG_0535.jpg

Back