What's new
What's new

Looking for a manual surface grinder for 22-1/2" long work

JW Machine

Aluminum
I've been casually looking for a grinder that fits this description for a few years. Just checked out a Brown & Sharpe 2B, SN 18597, that looks like it might be coaxed up to 21 or 21-1/2", but it was going to be a stretch. I'd rather find something that was made for work this long. Width is not an issue, most of what I do is no more than 3-1/4" wide. I'd rather stay away from an automatic due to the size and expense, but would be open to suggestions. If Harig made a large enough version of my 612 that would be perfect, but I haven't seen one.

What do you think? And on a side note, how old is that Brown & Sharpe?

I don't know of any that size that are not automatic. I don't think the footprint is any bigger anyway. Everything should be enclosed into the base / column. Buy a 12 by 24 Okamoto, you won't regret it. They also make an 8 by 20 but 20 is the max stroke. Can you put your work piece on a diagonal to fit on an 8 by 20? Don't know if they make 8 by 24.

I just check out a 2B and found this info on ebay:
BROWN & SHARPE SURFACE GRINDER MODEL #2B
SPECIFICATIONS:
220V, 3 PHASE, 60HZ, 5 AMPS
BROWN & SHARPE MAGNETIC CHUCK 10-3/8" x 5-5/8"
7" GRINDING WHEEL CAPACITY
SHIPPING WEIGHT: APPROXIMATELY 1950 LBS.
SHIPPING DIMENSIONS: 55" x 38" x 84" TALL

So getting 21 inches is not going to happen unless you plan on grinding one side and moving it, which isn't a precision technique. matching the heights is a pain and the end of the grinds have a tendency to burn. If your grinding long narrow parts you may want to look for a sheet metal or paper blade grinder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulhczq2YjiY

There are a bunch of old 8 x and 12" wide x 24" long Do-All's, Gallmyer & Livingston, Thompson around that are hydraulic but they suckers are heavy. What sort of tolerance are yo looking to hold? The Okomoto is a super precision machine and expensive. Many of the machines can be hand cranked, but your arm will be hurting on those bigger machines cranking by hand. Being in MN you have a number of used machinery dealers and this time of year is the slowest time for sales, so you should be able to get a deal. If you want to talk or if you find one and need a experts opinion give me a call. 651-338-8141 Rich

Interestingly enough, the 2B I just looked at also had a small chuck on it, although the machine appears to be made for an 18" chuck and seems like it can be persuaded beyond that length a bit. Doesn't matter much, as it's still just shy of the maximum part length I need to grind.

The job that I want this grinder for doesn't require hitting precise dimensions, the parts just need to be flat and pretty.

Rich, thanks for the offer, I will probably be calling you before this is over.

The video was not a surface grinder but a horizontal knife grinder. If that is what you need a surface grinder will never compete time wise. A surface grinder will be a lot more universal, but not the machine for knife grinding if that's all you want if for.

He didn't say what he was grinding and how much he needed to take off. I was suggesting a longer alternative for a narrow long part. That style not that brand. I wasn't going to spend hours looking at youtube finding one.

Couple notes, my smaller grinder is a 2A (2 axis auto) and I used to grind 20" knives on it, in a fixture on the 6-18 chuck. I do not think you will stretch it any further and get a good grind on the ends of the work. As Richard noted, you could grind work on the diagonal if it is narrow. (I was able to just grind the 20" knives parallel with the chuck rail and still a small but comfortable overtravel)

You are wasting your time and effort on not getting auto. on old mechanical auto grinders, there is not savings to get a nused one without auto. Even on somehwat older but good hydraulics, like DoALL, they are just as cheap with as without.

Per your age question, B & S #2's where made starting sometime back in the 19teens. They were superseded by the 2L, which is still on the essentially same frame, and mechanical but gained 2 speeds instead of one on the table and some squared up details on the castings, sometime in the 1950's IIRC.

smt

Back