What's new
What's new

Looking for a new 5 axis mill-turn

pauls_boutique

Plastic
Hi guys. Our 2008ish Mori Seiki NT3150 DCG is currently getting quoted for it's 4th new spindle. I work in a prototype shop for a large kitchen and bath fixture company. We don't run anything very hard, so the spindle needing another replacement has us looking at other options.

We're probably looking for the smallest, most basic version of any machine. Single spindle with a tailstock, no need for a sub turret. Control doesn’t matter much, we use MasterCAM. We don't make anything larger than a football. Price isn't much of a concern at this point, but we'd need something new that we can get good service in Wisconsin.

So who makes a good 5 axis mill-turn? I know of the Mazak Integrex, the Haas VMT750 and the newer Mori's? Anything else we should look at? Thanks.

pauls_boutique

Plastic
Okuma, Doosan, etc... What brands are semi-local to your area?
We're 3~ hours north of Chicago. I don't know what's local but I assume we can get most of the bigger name brands.

no to derail, but which spindle is biting the dust? lathe or milling?
Mill spindle every time. They blamed the first three failures on coolant, this one is something with the draw bar.

You could go for a Doosan Lynx with live tools and milling, even Y axis.
Okuma would be even better but more $$.
We need the full 5 axis for some stuff, we're getting by with with our Y axis lathe and creative fixturing right now. Doosan sent me a quote on a MX1600 but it's probably more than what we'd need.

TKassoc

Cast Iron
So who makes a good 5 axis mill-turn? I know of the Mazak Integrex, the Haas VMT750 and the newer Mori's? Anything else we should look at? Thanks.

So b-axis mill-turn for prototyping...if you buy that ridiculous Haas thing you deserve all the pain it will cause you. Some others in no particular order:

Okuma Multus
Nakamua-Tome NTMX
Willemin-Macodel 508MT2 X1000
Yama-Seiki GMS-2000ST

DouglasJRizzo

Titanium
We're 3~ hours north of Chicago. I don't know what's local but I assume we can get most of the bigger name brands.

Mill spindle every time. They blamed the first three failures on coolant, this one is something with the draw bar.

We need the full 5 axis for some stuff, we're getting by with with our Y axis lathe and creative fixturing right now. Doosan sent me a quote on a MX1600 but it's probably more than what we'd need.
The MX/SMX can really cook.